Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to locate the family of a WW1 Serviceman

Guest Claire Nickalls

Guest Claire Nickalls

Hello. I'm am trying to find the family of a WW1 serviceman. His name is W S Cox and the only other information I have about him is SS 13021, Royal Engineers WR266290 and 246609. I'm located in New Zealand and would appreciate any assistance you might be able to give me. I found set of WW1 medals among my maternal grandmothers personal belongings (after her death) and my goal is to return them to Mr Cox's closest living relatives. From the scant information I have, it would appear that Mr Cos's sister or mother (Emily Cox) married my great-grandfather (Samuel Ley).

He's in the Medal Rolls as William S Cox, PTE SS/13021 of the Army Service Corps and latterly CPL (WR266290 and 246609) of the Royal Engineers.

Samuel Ley (b1870 at St Teath in Cornwall) married Emily Cox on 12th Jul 1899 also at St Teath. He was a Police Constable at the time.

The 1901 census has them living at Landewednach, Cornwall with a son called Geoffrey WS Ley.

Emily Cox's father was called Frederick John Cox.

Not quite sure whether you are saying that William Cox's mother was called Emily, or whether either his sister or his mother was called Emily, but presumably it was his sister otherwise he'd have been surnamed Ley ?

He's not recorded on the CWGC, so he presumably survived.

Hello, welcome and a Happy New Year, although it's older where you are than here!

There are at least 2 active Forum Pals with interests in the Cox line.

It's obviously going to help if you go back to your first post and include his surname via the Advanced Post facility.

Nice that you want to return them to any closer family, do you not want them for yourself as "custodian" as you have links to the Cox family as you explain under your Forum name.

EDIT:

From Ron's information, it would suggest that PC Samuel Ley married in 1899 to Emily Cox,and had a son Geoffrey William Somers Ley, born about 1904.

This Geoffrey William Somers (Ley) would only just have been of age to serve in WW1.

I'm wondering if Geoffrey tried to enlist underage but was found out, so tried again as William Cox, using his mothers maiden name?????

If we are looking for branches of the Ley family then these may help

LEY, E. Rank: Private. Service No: 240940. Date of Death: 31/03/1916. Age: 38.
Regiment/Service: Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 1st/5th Bn.
Grave Reference: I. F. 22. Cemetery: NAMPS-AU-VAL BRITISH CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of William and Sarah Ley, of Poltimore, Exeter; husband of May Ley, of Monkton, Honiton, Devon.
LEY, J F. Rank: Private. Service No: 345715. Date of Death: 03/12/1917. Age: 27.
Regiment/Service: Devonshire Regiment 16th (Royal Devon and R. North Devon Yeomanry) Bn.
Grave Reference: A. 35. Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Frederick and Mary Ley, of Westacott, Barnstaple.
LEY, WILLIAM THOMAS. Rank: Private. Service No: 2312. Date of Death: 04/12/1915. Age: 19.
Regiment/Service: Royal North Devon Hussars
Panel Reference: Panel 19. Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of William Henry and Charlotte Ley. of Crowness Cottage, Lee, Ilfracombe.
LEY, H. Rank: Private. Service No: 16888. Date of Death: 08/12/1915. Age: 18.
Regiment/Service: Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 6th Bn.
Grave Reference: III. A. 4. Cemetery: HAGLE DUMP CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of John and Ellen Ley, of Tintagel, Cornwall.
Some other St Teath casualties
DYER, C. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 16135. Date of Death: 25/07/1918. Age: 31.
Regiment/Service: Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 7th Bn.
Grave Reference: XI. C. 3. Cemetery: VILLERS STATION CEMETERY, VILLERS-AU-BOIS.
Additional Information: Son of Sarah Dyer, of Myrtle Cottage, St. Teath, Cornwall, and the late Richard Dyer.
DYER, RICHARD FRANCIS. Rank: Private. Service No: 46299. Date of Death: 31/03/1918. Age: 36.
Regiment/Service: Worcestershire Regiment 2nd/8th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 41. Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Sarah Dyer of Myrtle Cottage, St. Teath, Cornwall, and the late Richard Dyer.
CRAHART, WILLIAM JOHN. Rank: Private. Service No: 20972. Date of Death: 07/06/1917. Age: 27.
Regiment/Service: Auckland Regiment, N.Z.E.F. 2nd Bn.
Grave Reference: I. F. 14. Cemetery: MESSINES RIDGE BRITISH CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of John Crahart, of Tregildern, St. Teath, Cornwall, and the late Annie Crahart. Native of Pendoggett, St. Kew, Cornwall.
TRELEAVEN, C J A. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: 23/1488. Date of Death: 19/09/1916. Age: 21.
Regiment/Service: New Zealand Rifle Brigade 1st Bn. 3rd
Grave Reference: II. A. 22. Cemetery: DERNANCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Son of John and Mary Anne Treleaven, of Trekee Farm, St. Teath, Cornwall, England.
TRELEAVEN, REGINALD RONALD. Rank: Private. Service No: 63790. Date of Death: 20/02/1918. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: Canterbury Regiment, N.Z.E.F. 1st Bn.
Grave Reference: Cemetery: ST. TEATH CHURCH CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of John and Mary Anne Peter Treleaven, of Trekee, St. Teath.
PARSONS, WALTER ATHELSTON. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 201262. Date of Death: 22/11/1917. Age: 35.
Regiment/Service: Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 1st/4th Bn.
Grave Reference: G. 95. Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Richard and Amelia Parsons, of St. Teath, Cornwall.
LYLE, FRANCES LEWIS. Rank: Private. Service No: 35240. Date of Death: 16/10/1918. Age: 22.
Regiment/Service: Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 7th Bn.
Grave Reference: C. 10. Cemetery: SARRALBE MILITARY CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Lewis Lyle, of Lower Tynes, St. Teath, Cornwall.
As you'll note, men from St Teath had already emigrated to New Zealand by WW1 so I'm wondering if Samuel Ley was related to some of them and later moved to New Zealand?????? It might give you a little challenge to see when and where men from St Teath went to the Land of the Long White Cloud!

EDIT:

From Ron's information, it would suggest that PC Samuel Ley married in 1899 to Emily Cox,and had a son Geoffrey William Somers Ley, born about 1904.

This Geoffrey William Somers (Ley) would only just have been of age to serve in WW1.

I'm wondering if Geoffrey tried to enlist underage but was found out, so tried again as William Cox, using his mothers maiden name?????

There's a MIC for Geoffrey W S Ley - DCLI, appears to have served on after the war as #5429986. MIC shows GSM and clasp. Roll shows Geoffrey Wm S Ley, served in Iraq with 2n DCLI and receive dmedal in 1923.

Craig

Correction to my earlier post

Name: Geoffrey William S Ley. Registration Year: 1900. Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep

Registration district: Helston, Cornwall. Volume: 5c. Page: 163.

Name: Geoffrey William S Ley. Birth Date: 15 May 1900. Date of Registration: Dec 1971

Age at Death: 71. Registration district: Surrey Mid eastern, Surrey. Volume: 5g. Page: 245.

but is Geoffrey W S Ley the same person as W S Cox?

Is it possible she had a child before marriage who used Cox ? I.e. William. If so the bmd registers should show him.

Craig

The 1911 Census shows that Samuel Ley's wife Emily, nee Cox, was born in Glastonbury, Somerset.

William Somers Cox

Birth: Registered Jul-Aug-Sep 1890 Wells, Somerset

UK, Railway Employment Records - William Somers Cox

Birth Date: 30 May 1890

Occupation: Lad Porter Sept 1905 (Theale): June 1906 (Goring); November 1906 (Fridgham); May 1907 (Thatcham); July 1908 (Chinnor). Branch Guard May 1911 (Marlow)

Married Mary Alice King: Oct-Nov-Dec 1909 Thame, Oxfordshire

1911 Census for Station Rd, Chinnor, Oxfordshire -

William Somers Cox: Head (20) Porter Railways born Glastonbury, Somerset

Mary Alice Cox: Wife (28) born Chinnor Oxfordshire

Ellen May Somers Cox: Daughter (11 months) born Chinnor

WW1 Service Medal & Award Rolls:

Name: William S Cox

Medals Awarded: British War Medal & Victory Medal

Regiment or Corps: Royal Engineers

Regimental Number: W.R.266290

Sub Unit: Railways

Previous Units: R.A.S.C, SS/13021. Cpl, Royal Engineers, 246609

I think William Somers Cox is the son of Frederick J Cox and his wife Ellen

1901 Census for King Street, Glastonbury -

Frederick J Cox: Head (57) Stone Mason, born Blackford, Somerset

Ellen Cox: Wife (54) born Glastonbury

William ? Cox: Son (33) Railway Clerk, born Glastonbury

Stanley Harman Cox: Son (15) Masons Apprentice, born Glastonbury (Married Alice Maud Dabinett 1908, Somerset)

Winnifred Cox: Daughter (13), born Glastonbury

William S Cox: Son (11), born Glastonbury

Louisa M Cox: Daughter (9), born Glastonbury

Mary Ann: Widowed Mother in Law (86), born Devon

Frederick & Ellen Cox had a large number of children -

1881 Census: Amelia M Cox (11); Frank Cox (8); Edith Cox (5); Emily Cox (3) born abt 1878; Henry Thos. Cox (7months). All born Glastonbury

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Thanks helpjpl, it seems we should be following your trail for William Somers Cox, but how does he link to Samuel Ley and "Emily"?

Geoffrey William Somers Ley does seem to have some familial connection to William Somers Cox but it's turning more into a Family Tree puzzle than a WW1 .......

Thanks helpjpl, it seems we should be following your trail for William Somers Cox, but how does he link to Samuel Ley and "Emily"?

Geoffrey William Somers Ley does seem to have some familial connection to William Somers Cox but it's turning more into a Family Tree puzzle than a WW1 .......

Frederick J Cox and his wife Ellen had a daughter Emily born abt 1878 in Glastonbury (see 1881 Census #7).

Ron Abbott's post #2 says that Emily Cox's father was called Frederick John Cox - but I don't know where he got that information.

A copy of Samuel Ley's 1899 marriage certificate will give the name and occupation of the father of Emily Cox.

Name: Samuel Ley

Registration Year: 1899

Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep

Registration District: Camelford

Inferred County: Cornwall:

Volume: 5c

Page: 11

I think that William Somers Cox and Claire's great-grandmother, Emily Ley (nee Cox), are brother and sister.

JP

Frederick J Cox and his wife Ellen had a daughter Emily born abt 1878 in Glastonbury (see 1881 Census #7).

Ron Abbott's post #2 says that Emily Cox's father was called Frederick John Cox - but I don't know where he got that information.

A copy of Samuel Ley's 1899 marriage certificate will give the name and occupation of the father of Emily Cox.

Name: Samuel Ley

Registration Year: 1899

Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep

Registration District: Camelford

Inferred County: Cornwall:

Volume: 5c

Page: 11

I think that William Somers Cox and Claire's great-grandmother, Emily Ley (nee Cox), are brother and sister.

JP

Assuming it was the marriage of the correct Samuel Ley and Emily Cox.......It's recorded on their marriage certificate that that was her father's name and in fact, he is also recorded as being one of the two witnesses.

The actual document can be obtained via familysearch.org. Unfortunately, I can't upload it onto here. However, here's the link:-

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Asamuel%20%2Bsurname%3Aley%20%2Bspouse_givenname%3Aemily%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland

If that doesn't work, go to familysearch and simply input their names as principal and spouse in location 'England' and it'll come up in the search. When the result comes on the screen, click on the wee camera 'image' and the actual certificate is there.

Assuming it was the marriage of the correct Samuel Ley and Emily Cox.......It's recorded on their marriage certificate that that was her father's name and in fact, he is also recorded as being one of the two witnesses.

The actual document can be obtained via familysearch.org. Unfortunately, I can't upload it onto here. However, here's the link:-

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Asamuel%20%2Bsurname%3Aley%20%2Bspouse_givenname%3Aemily%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland

If that doesn't work, go to familysearch and simply input their names as principal and spouse in location 'England' and it'll come up in the search. When the result comes on the screen, click on the wee camera 'image' and the actual certificate is there.

Thanks Ron - we've got a result !!

St John's Church, Delabole, Chapel of Ease to St Teath -

Samuel Ley (29) Bachelor, Police Constable, living in St Mawgan. Father: Samuel Ley, Quarryman

Emily Cox (21) Spinster, living in Little Delinuth Delabole. Father: Frederick John Cox, Mason

Witnesses: Frederick John Cox and Laura Ley

JP

• 1 month later...

Hello. I'm am trying to find the family of a WW1 serviceman. His name is W S Cox and the only other information I have about him is SS 13021, Royal Engineers WR266290 and 246609. I'm located in New Zealand and would appreciate any assistance you might be able to give me. I found set of WW1 medals among my maternal grandmothers personal belongings (after her death) and my goal is to return them to Mr Cox's closest living relatives. From the scant information I have, it would appear that Mr Cos's sister or mother (Emily Cox) married my great-grandfather (Samuel Ley).

If you have access to Ancestry then this may be of interest:

MEDALS ARE COMING HOME....THANKS TO ANCESTRY! - Medals - Great War Forum

JP