Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Insoll - Smith ? Name change

Dorset1

Any thoughts as to why my G Grandad would change his name when signing up? Born in the South West but signed up in Carlisle with the Border Regiment.

He was not under age and no criminal record ? He then changed it back after the war ?

Received GSW in Gallipoli and later gassed in Ypres area.

Any suggestions ???

Any thoughts as to why my G Grandad would change his name when signing up? Born in the South West but signed up in Carlisle with the Border Regiment.

He was not under age and no criminal record ? He then changed it back after the war ?

Received GSW in Gallipoli and later gassed in Ypres area.

Any suggestions ???

There are many reasons - men did so if they didn't want the families to know where they where, if they were deserters re-enlisting, wanted to avoid any chance of being caught by the civil authorities in regards to any outstanding action, avoiding paying any monies to wife & kids back home etc.

Craig

Add to that men who volunteered at the outbreak of War when standards of recruit were expected to be the same as pre-War, lots of men were rejected as "Unlikely to become an efficient Soldier", many then tried their luck with other Regiments.

Sam

Cheers. Happy family by all accounts. When listing his next of kins name (brother) he changes his surname aswell not to give he game away I guess.

His father was a Royal Engineer. I feel it will remain a family mystery but Chippenham to Carlisle is a fair journey to sign up when there are so many closer options ?

No kids pre war an signed up at the outbreak. Served until 1923. Name changed back post war.

Edited by Dorset1

Hi,

Presume you have his service record?

If not you may not be aware that post 1920 service records are held by MOD and can be provided on payment of £30.

Regards

Steve Y