Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gas Warfare on the Eastern Front

The Ibis

I just obtained a copy of Steven J. Main's Gas on the Eastern Front During the First World War (1915–1917), which can be found in The Journal of Slavic Military Studies, 28:1, 99-132 (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13518046.2014.963437#.Vnq7602FNtQ). Here is the abstract:

Russia’s first experience of chemical warfare occurred during the First World War. Although the first use of chemical weapons on the Eastern Front was long thought to have taken place in April/May 1915, in actual fact, the first time the Russians experienced a chemical agent in action was earlier than that, in January 1915 at Bolimow. Using a variety of Russian, English, and translated German material, the article analyzes the use and effect of gas on operations in the Eastern Front throughout 1915–1917. Given the newness of the weapon, its impact was less considerable than it could have been and its effectiveness hampered less by technological counter-measures and more by a lack of serious thought given to its potential operational impact.

Its an interesting article citing a good number of Russian sources, including, especially, A. N. De-Lazari, Khimicheskoye oruzhiye na frontakh Mirovoi voiny 1914-1918 gg.: kratkiy istoricheskiy ocherk, (originally published in 1935, reprinted with commentary and notes by Colonel M. V. Supotnitsky, Moscow, 2008). De-Lazari, according to the author, "to all intents and purposes, became the first historian of the chemical warfare branch of the Red Army, by writing what can genuinely be described as a ground-breaking work on chemical warfare in the First World War." (pps. 112-113).

I've seen Main's name before but I haven't read anything he has written (as far as I remember anyway). This article was good. Also, the brief bio in the article indicates that Main has established the "Russian Military Studies Office," which is based in Scotland and is "is designed to research and publish various materials dealing with the current state—and past history—of the Russian Armed Forces, using primary source material as much as possible." I did a quick search and didn't find a website for the Office. That struck me as odd.

• 1 month later...

My grand-father was a German staff officer on the Eastern Front during 1915; I have some of his letters, and one mentions (this is from memory) a German gas attack in which 7000 Russians were killed.

Austria-Hungary's Last War 1914-1918 the Austro-Hungarian official history which is online and is mentioned on this site does mention gas usage on the Eastern front during WW I.

According to its regimental history, the 5. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß the regiment was deployed near Bolimow for about ten days up to January 26, 1915. Basically it describes the poor conditions and attempts to improve and expand the trench system but makes no mention of the impending use of gas. The regiment relieved elements of the 1. Reserve-Infanterie-Brigade (1. Res.-Div.) and was itself relieved by elements of the same brigade, and then moved to another part of the line.

The above was also posted in this thread:

• 10 months later...

My grand-father was an staff officer in the Generalkommando of III. Reservekorps (Prussian Explosives Captain) which was rushed from Belgium to East Prussia to help defend against the Russian invasion of East Prussia at the end of 1914. Since we can figure out approximately where the Generalkommando was on any given day, and since his letters are dated and often have a place-name, we can roughly figure out where these gas attacks were. I might not want to do this on my own, for my own purposes, but I could do this if someone has a distinct need of this info. He also mentions specific large blasting projects that he took part in, one using 1200 lbs of explosives.