Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

salford pal

Guest Tony T

I am trying to find any information I can on a Salford "pal" - 19th battalion Lancashire Fusiliers soldier.His name was 17790 Sergeant Thomas Smith.He died of wounds in Le Treport military hospital on 29th September 1916 aged 25 and is buried in the nearby Mont Huon military cemetery.He lived at 29 Sprey Street,St Helens in Lancashire,although he was probably from Salford originally,as his name appears (as a corporal) in the list of original "pals" in the "Salford Pals" book by Michael Stedman.

My questions are :

1 Because he was an NCO is his death likely to be mentioned in the battalion war diary?

2 Are the hospital records available for research?

3 One member of his family has said that he was a policeman before he joined up,is there any way of checking?

Thanking you in anticipation!!

Tony

Tony:-

1/ Unlikely, as he died in a hospital, so the battalion diarist wouldn`t be aware of the fact.

2/ Very unlikely.

3/ Local newspaper may have a report of his death in the few weeks following the event. This could vary from a little to a lot of information and possibly a photo.

Phil B

3 One member of his family has said that he was a policeman before he joined up,is there any way of checking?

I wonder how far GMP (greater manchester police ) records go back?

GMP

Chester House

Boyer St

Manchester

M16 0RE

• 4 months later...
He lived at 29 Sprey Street,St Helens in Lancashire,although he was probably from Salford originally,as his name appears (as a corporal) in the list of original "pals" in the "Salford Pals" book by Michael Stedman.

I'm a St Helens native and I've never heard of Sprey St; some have disappeared, of course.

However, I grew up in 'Fry' St - in number 29 - and have sometimes seen that misinterpreted as 'Spry', 'Fryer', and 'Spray' and even 'Dwyer', when people have been writing down what they hear.

Unlikely, but possible!

Ste

Ste

CWGC has it correctly spelt as Spray Street, which is just off Duke Street.

Tony,

Do you have 'Salford Pals' by Michael Stedman? He is listed in the 19th Battalion Nominal Roll as 17790 Cpl T Smith in 10 Platoon, C Company. His platoon commander is 2nd Lt H Musker and his platoon Sgt is Sgt J E Smith.

Rgds

Tim D

If you think he was a Manchester area policeman, try contacting Police.Museum@gmp.police.uk A chap called David Tetlow has been very helpful to me over a similar question.

cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...
If you think he was a Manchester area policeman, try contacting Police.Museum@gmp.police.uk A chap called David Tetlow has been very helpful to me over a similar question.

cheers

Dave

thomas smith didnt serve with manchester police,he may have served with salford or st helens police,i have just completed the roll of honour for the manchester bobbies,i checked through my service roll of over 8,600 manchester policemen and hes not listed,bernard