Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier's regiment number

Guest alantg

My Grandfather was in the Northumberland Fusiliers, 1/4th Battalion and then the 19th Battalion. His number on the medal Index card is 201712. I understand that this can help interpret when he changed battalions. Can anyone help with this?

The Number you quote is a post 1916 Territorial Number {6 figure},as he changed Battalions within his Regiment it is unklikely this will tell you when this occurred,only that when the Index Card was Compiled he had been issued with his New TF Number{as opposed to a 4 Figure One}

I looked up your grandfather's medal index card, following your other thread. His card has only the one number. This looks to me like a 6 figure number (April 1917) for the 4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Unfortunately I don't know the 19th Battalion numbers.

Sometimes if there is more than 1 soldier's number and one of the numbers is a 4 figure number followed by a 6 figure number for the same battalion and then a number for a different battalion it might allow us a rough guess, that he hadn't transferred to the 19th Batt. by April 1917.

Not an exact science, working from MIC online I'm afraid. People on this forum have said that even some of the soldiers who had been killed in action prior to April 1917, have 6 figure numbers.

The War Diary for a particular battalion sometimes mentions that there has been a group of soldiers transferred in from another battalion but they are not usually listed and named.

The War Diaries for the 4th & 19th Battalions are on microfilm in Newcastle upon Tyne Central Library as well as at the PRO.

Kate

• 4 months later...