Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help indentifying a French Kepi

hamble

Pre-1910 (the pom-pom was replaced by a plume in 1910) officer's full dress Kepi to a Lieutenant in the 7th Regiment d'Infanterie. It would date anywhere between 1884 and 1910.

Dave

I agree David,

museum quality piece, I wish we had more images showing the evolution of the French kepi from prewar until 1919. I have always thought of buying one but have no idea of what to look for.

khaki

• 9 months later...

My newest acquisition (and a quick bit of info to assist in Khaki's wish!).... the 'kepi foulard' of a Lieutenant from the 18e Regiment d'Infanterie. This is the type of kepi that saw some of the earliest actions of the war and is a pattern that I've been looking for quite some time! (decent unit too...this kepi possibly saw service at Charleroi and Guise in August 1914, the Marne in September and on the Chemin des Dames in October)

(Keeping it as simple as possible, the war began with French officers wearing one of two styles of kepi in action ... the 'foulard' or the 'polo' (the 'polo' was shorter in height (the turban (ie. the 'red bit' on an infantry version!) was a lot shorter) and could be more rigid ... more of a fashion thing than anything else. The 'foulard' was in use from the late 1880's through to 1914 and the 'polo' from circa 1910 through to the 1920's (another style - sometimes known as the 'Saumur' - was also in use, but this was practically the 'foulard' with extra rigidity). By the end of 1914, the 'foulard' had all but given way to the 'polo' in front-line wear (and then we also get the introduction of the 'blues' and another story!)...

Dave

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by CROONAERT

My (very accurate) replica Mle.1884 Kepi troupe made up in homage to the 44e Regiment d'infanterie (the first French army regiment to engage in close quarter combat on the Western Front (2nd August 1914)) for comparison with an 'other ranks' version...

Dave

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by CROONAERT

the (replica) other-ranks and (genuine) officer kepis of August 1914 side by side ...

Dave

4.jpg

Edited by CROONAERT

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 00:16, CROONAERT said:

(the 'polo' was shorter in height (the turban (ie. the 'red bit' on an infantry version!) was a lot shorter) and could be more rigid ...

...here's an example of a (medical officer's) 'polo' for illustration... (there was also another rather interesting version of this style also... the collapsible 'polo claque')

* edit* ... see post 34

('Tall, angular and rigid' came increasingly back into style from the 1920's onwards through the Mles. 1930, 1935, 1946 and 1954(?) kepis)

Dave

Edited by CROONAERT

Dave, have you seen the memorial at Croix de Wihr, complete with immaculate képi? For those who don't know, it is part of le Grand Hohnack near Trois-Épis, Alsace. It marks the furthest advance of the French army during the fighting of 19th August 1914. The 152e Régiment d'Infanterie had been ordered to capture Trois-Épis and ascended the steep climb from the Munster valley. At just under 1000m they encountered German troops. In the chaotic face-to-face fighting with bayonets, they prevented the Germans from advancing and because of their fierce determination they were nicknamed les Diables Rouges [Red Devils]. 

I'll post a photo but my photos need resizing and it's late.

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn... I have, yes.

It's very eye-catching and is a very good likeness of the Mle.1884 (even though the colour scheme is totally wrong! :P).

If I recall, they have another memorial commemorating their celebration of the 'Christmas Truce' at Steinbach? (and yes, before you start thinking that I've lost the plot ...I'm being sarcastic!)

Dave

2.jpg

Edited by CROONAERT

During the Second World War, knowing that the occupying German forces intended to destroy the monument, local patriots carved it up and buried the pieces in situ with the intention of re-erecting it after the war. Apparently on close inspection you can see fissures in the stone testifying to the truth of the story. It's possible that it's been repainted wrongly!

Here's a postcard from my collection showing the new monument after the Great War. I don't know whether it seems to be more accurately coloured here:

p526983598-3.jpg

and now (for those who aren't familiar with the location):

p314943182-3.jpg

Just for interest here's a mass at that stone cross in the foreground to mark the birthday of Princess Charlotte:

p305459209-3.jpg

and the site as it looked in 1916:

p259248202-3.jpg

Gwyn

(My cards, my photos. A few more pics here.)

Edited by Dragon

9 hours ago, Dragon said:

... the memorial at Croix de Wihr ... The 152e Régiment d'Infanterie ... they were nicknamed les Diables Rouges [Red Devils]. 

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

... Here's a postcard from my collection showing the new monument after the Great War. I don't know whether it seems to be more accurately coloured here:

p526983598-3.jpg

Looks an interesting monument - but if commemorating les Diables Rouges, why does the postcard have Diables Bleu?

4 minutes ago, trajan said:

Looks an interesting monument - but if commemorating les Diables Rouges, why does the postcard have Diables Bleu?

It's an error from the post-card maker. The 152e were the Diables Rouges (as is also depicted on the actual monument ... as an aside, they have a very eye catching red devil on the roundabout outside their current barracks in Colmar). The Diables Bleu were the chasseurs Alpin who have their own monuments not a million miles away (with one ,most impressively, on the peak of the Grand Ballon).

(Red Devils, I presume, because, being a line infantry regiment, they were wearing the 'rouge madder' trousers when gaining the nick-name? (Chasseurs wore blue...hence 'blue devils?)

Dave

1 hour ago, CROONAERT said:

It's an error from the post-card maker. The 152e were the Diables Rouges (as is also depicted on the actual monument ...

... here. It does look sort of red:

p272232815-3.jpg

Yes, a mistake.

The inscription reads:

Ici le 19 août 1914 le 3me bataillon du 152e RI surprit le 1er régiment de Landwehr Bavarois et après un combat de 5 heures le tailla en pièces
[= Here on 19th August 1914 the third battalion of the 152e Régiment d'Infanterie surprised the 1st Regiment Landwehr Bavarois and after a battle of five hours, hacked them to pieces.]
Les Réservistes Alsaciens du quinze deux aux héros de leur régiment tombés pour la deliverance de l’Alsace

On 27/09/2016 at 09:16, CROONAERT said:

My newest acquisition (and a quick bit of info to assist in Khaki's wish!).... the 'kepi foulard' of a Lieutenant from the 18e Regiment d'Infanterie. This is the type of kepi that saw some of the earliest actions of the war and is a pattern that I've been looking for quite some time! (decent unit too...this kepi possibly saw service at Charleroi and Guise in August 1914, the Marne in September and on the Chemin des Dames in October)

(Keeping it as simple as possible, the war began with French officers wearing one of two styles of kepi in action ... the 'foulard' or the 'polo' (the 'polo' was shorter in height (the turban (ie. the 'red bit' on an infantry version!) was a lot shorter) and could be more rigid ... more of a fashion thing than anything else. The 'foulard' was in use from the late 1880's through to 1914 and the 'polo' from circa 1910 through to the 1920's (another style - sometimes known as the 'Saumur' - was also in use, but this was practically the 'foulard' with extra rigidity). By the end of 1914, the 'foulard' had all but given way to the 'polo' in front-line wear (and then we also get the introduction of the 'blues' and another story!)...

Dave

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

good morning,

your "Képi" are not for the infantry but the cavalry.

because the button (without grenade) and the edging are white.

the infantry the color are yellow.

this my "Képi"

Lieutenant of 90st Infantry Regiment who fought at loos in 1915

picture :

5979af17d9bdf_kpi90eRI(1).JPG.0a1e99270e964c5c4c997a2a039748a2.JPG

5979af3bb799f_kpi90eRI(2).JPG.926c9f666b14300b0df8ade83501ce87.JPG

5979af63c3567_kpi90eRI(3).JPG.03d0a48b754ed5098a1e19e3ec6de495.JPG

5979af700d4f6_kpi90eRI(4).JPG.a8b1c402452a983c3bff5f4c2b856e7f.JPG

5979afa23dbf7_kpi90eRI(5).JPG.17f9ed4febd9508ce1f907fb0396a6e1.JPG

regards

michel

13 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

My (very accurate) replica Mle.1884 Kepi troupe made up in homage to the 44e Regiment d'infanterie (the first French army regiment to engage in close quarter combat on the Western Front (2nd August 1914)) for comparison with an 'other ranks' version...

Dave

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

good morning,

the button are not good.

for this "Képi" this is the good button :

infant10.jpg

if you want, it's possible to send you two button.

regards

michel

4 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

your "Képi" are not for the infantry but the cavalry.

because the button (without grenade) and the edging are white.

the infantry the color are yellow.

They're not actually white, Michel, but appear to be a slightly faded yellow. The photo 'bleaches' it further (if you look closely at the first photo, you can just about make out the yellowness)

Dave

8 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

...the button are not good......if you want, it's possible to send you two button.

Thanks Michel. The strap isn't any good either (but it is a 'work in progress' and will do until I find a better one). Thanks for the offer on the buttons, I'll contact you later via PM.

Best wishes,

Dave

(Very nice example of a 'polo', by the way, thanks for posting it)

Edited by CROONAERT

for the "18" the edging and the button are the same colour who are white here.

you see the difference with mine.

it's a pleasure to help you for the button.

Thanks for the compliment

regards

michel

3 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

It's an error from the post-card maker. The 152e were the Diables Rouges (as is also depicted on the actual monument

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

Yes, a mistake.

The inscription reads:

Ici le 19 août 1914 le 3me bataillon du 152e RI surprit le 1er régiment de Landwehr Bavarois et après un combat de 5 heures le tailla en pièces
[= Here on 19th August 1914 the third battalion of the 152e Régiment d'Infanterie surprised the 1st Regiment Landwehr Bavarois and after a battle of five hours, hacked them to pieces.]
Les Réservistes Alsaciens du quinze deux aux héros de leur régiment tombés pour la deliverance de l’Alsace

Thanks for clarifying - and reading the text of the inscription I can understand why the locals were loath to leave it standing in WW2!

• 2 weeks later...

With many thanks to Michel (to whom I am massively grateful!) for the kepi buttons , my replica 44e R.I. kepi has just improved massively in realism and can almost be used as an 'example' model (just a better chinstrap to replace and, I think, it's done!)...

Dave.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by CROONAERT

good evening,

if you have need another button, it's a pleasure to send to you.

regards

michel

Edited by battle of loos