Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Import permit

sawdoc34

Hi chaps,

has anyone heard of the need for an import permit/licence when having bayonets sent from france?

Only have just purchased a pipebacked M1860 fusilier bayonet & the seller is now asking for said permit :(

Is this a new law or is someone trying a fast one? I have never had any problems before, so seems strange to me.

Cheers in advance,

Aleck

Sounds like they're either confused or trying to cover themselves in the light of recent events. I've imported bayonets from abroad in the past without issues or requiring paperwork: antique bayonets are not a restricted or prohibited item in the UK.

Probably best to confirm it with HMRC:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/customs-international-trade-and-excise-enquiries

Hi

There are certain items which collectors will require a UK import licence to bring into the country even though you may hold the legally once here. Although bayonets are not one of e them that I am aware of.

Regards

Sounds like they're either confused or trying to cover themselves in the light of recent events. ...

There has certainly been a bit of a knee-jerk response with Customs plods over here on this matter since the big bomb in our capital city in October... It has always been against the law to import edged weapons into the land of the 70 cm long kebab knife - even penknives, if those at Customs want to go the whole hog... Every piece of luggage that comes into Gobble-gobble is liable to be X-ray'd and every postal package is, and I have learnt recently from a friend that although he can obtain an import certificate for his bayonet deliveries from abroad, the difficulty and the cost of doing so has become even worse since October - and has certainly increased since Paris...

Perhaps this thread should be united with the on on ealth and safety and cutting things with a knife.

Same sort of jobsworths forbidding the use of brains; same sort of people looking for power over others for no good reason.

Anyone know whether it is illegal to get some steel and put an edge down the side and a handle on one end?

Cheers Chaps,

the sellers was indeed cunfused & has now shipped the bayonet, altho I did notice that knives are on the prohibited list as far as royal mail is concerned when sending parcels, just hope there are no hassles with some over zealous customs officer now....will let you know if/when it arrives,

Cheers,

Aleck

The import of many items from France has become more difficult due to the apparent loss of more and more items from their country and due to the exchange rate being in the UK buyers favour.

There is increasing determination by the French authorities to not loose any more of the steel harvest as it also detracts from the availability to display to the ever increasing tourist circuit.

Now we have a reaction to the recent terrorist activities which has only intensified the authorities view of the movement of arms and armour.