Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suomalaiset Ensimmäisessä Maailmansodassa

Landsturm

This interesting book popped in front of me in the library Suomalaiset Ensimmäisessä Maailmansodassa (trans. "Finns in the First World War"). This book was Valtioneuvoston kanslian julkaisu ("Cabinet office publication") 6/2004... so, I`m not sure if this is the right place to put this review, but I couldn`t figure out better one. Anyway it was edited by Lars Westerlund.

The book deals with Finnish people who fought and died between period of 1914-1922, including the Great War and Russian conflicts.

Along with those who fought with both Imperial Russian (of which Finland was part of, not yet a independent country) on the Eastern front it introduces those fought and died in the Russian Civil War. The book also lists deaths of those fighting in 27th Royal Prussian Jäeger Battalion (if you wish to find out more about Finnish Jäegers in German Army, follow this link!)

There was also surprises to myself, since I´ve always assumed they only fought in the Eastern front... they had two deaths (in both Belgium and France) and one missing (in Alsace) on the Western Front too.

Surprises don`t end here; The book also lists Finnish volunteers and Finnish-born men, fighting with the Western Allies, including; Great-Britain, USA, Canada, France, Australian, New Zealand and South Africa. These show the real surprises; I didn`t know that there were Finnish casualties in places like Gallipoli, Somme, Verdun or Ypres... With great lists and personal facts, the book was VERY interesting and like already mentioned, full of surprises (atleast to someone like me! :)).

"Suomalaiset Ensimmäisessä Maailmansodassa" is online in Finnish

Guest Ukko the Karelian

Excellent find, Landsturm! Seems like this a detailed report of all finns taking part in any action of arms in the wwI. :) Must start reading right away.

What is the Finnish phrase for New Zealand?

New Zealand is Uusi Seelanti.

Very good to have the book available online, just need to brush up on my Finnish.

(or persuade my girlfriend, who has no interest at all in her own country's history, to translate it for me!)

Steve