Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which weapons for a RFA sergeant in 1918 ?

Florent

Hello All,

I have a 19th Division RFA sergent tunic and I wonder what are the combinations of weapons that could be worn by a such sergeant in 1918.

Webley Mk VI only, Revolver with rifle, only rifle ?

Surely depending if mounted or not ?

I own a Mark VI but I wonder if I can add a leather bandoleer on chest for the SMLE ammo.

Thanks for your help.

Florent

The normal expectation for a Sergeant based on the uniform would be a revolver in an open top holster with a NCO type cartridge pouch. Circumstances could mean that he might equip himself with a rifle.

Hopefully someone will come along & post a photo for you.

khaki

Could any body post a photo of any artilleryman having any weapons on him.

Kevin

Any good?

post-119457-0-44783200-1450217426_thumb.

Nice photo !

What is he wearing between knee & ankle (seems to have regular boots to me) but are they for riding ?

Regards,

JMB

Yes he is wearing leather gaiters, as often worn by mounted troops. There were several patterns some with external straps that wrapped around (Stohwasser gaiters? see here) others (like this) with a hook at the bottom and a buckle and strap at the top.

They are fairly common on the market in the US as US mounted troops and officers wore them. I have several different sets each of a slightly different style.

Chris

Any good?

Can you think of any reason why he may being wearing a gun, especially at home? Just my opinion but in general this was not usual practice, which leads me to suspect that this BSM or BQMS (depending on date) has some special duty. The only gunners I can think of who were given these in the field were certain members of a trench mortar battery. The number of rifles allotted to batteries/brigades depended on the size of the unit. None of the published allocation of equipment, that I have seen, to these batteries/brigades list hand guns. Given the large number of these types of units vastly outnumbered those of TMBs (especially personnel), I do not for one minute believe that it was usual for a RFA, or RGA, sergeant to carry a gun.

Kevin

Have you noticed how the shoes of both people in the photograph seem to be very dirty ?

I posted this in tt's postcards thread and the state of the footwear was noted by Khaki.

You might have thought a boot clean to be in order before a photo! Being a Sgt as well.

Can you think of any reason why he may being wearing a gun, especially at home? Just my opinion but in general this was not usual practice, which leads me to suspect that this BSM or BQMS (depending on date) has some special duty. The only gunners I can think of who were given these in the field were certain members of a trench mortar battery. The number of rifles allotted to batteries/brigades depended on the size of the unit. None of the published allocation of equipment, that I have seen, to these batteries/brigades list hand guns. Given the large number of these types of units vastly outnumbered those of TMBs (especially personnel), I do not for one minute believe that it was usual for a RFA, or RGA, sergeant to carry a gun.

Kevin

I had only wondered why he would be armed on leave. I would otherwise, wrongly it seems, have assumed a senior NCO to be so armed.

LOOKING at the dirty footwear.........I'm wondering if it has any bearing on the unexpected (?) fact that he is armed.

Was he on duty somewhere muddy and his wife walked there in order to have their photograph taken together?

The 'dirt' looks quite light-colored (sand ?), and the postcard bears the partial words "derson" & "h(k)pool" so I wonder if this was taken immediately after a pony ride or walk on the sands at Blackpool.

Regards,

JMB

The 'dirt' looks quite light-colored (sand ?), and the postcard bears the partial words "derson" & "h(k)pool" so I wonder if this was taken immediately after a pony ride or walk on the sands at Blackpool.

Regards,

JMB

Sorry I forgot to add, the card is from a photo studio in Welshpool, Powys.

Welsh weather together with high street cattle markets and horse transport would easily explain wet and dirty boots, but not the Firearm!

Would sidearms be deposited when going on leave or taken with you? Ammunition I suppose was handed in. Then when they went for the photo one of them thought it would be a good idea to wear the revolver for the photo.

I'm surprised the photographer didn't have a brush available to at least remove the worst of the dirt.