Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harvard medical unit Nurse Uniform

Tailored

I need help finding visual references of the Harvard medical unit nurse uniform.

I have been asked to recreate it for a museum exhibit and would like to be 100% accurate.

If anyone has any references please share.

If anyone knows who to contact to have detail pictures taken of the garment I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you

post-125945-0-36116900-1450115338_thumb.

Tailored,

Might you be more specific about the "Harvard medical unit"? Are you inquiring about American nurses of the Harvard US Army Base Hospital No. 5 in France, 1917; OR Dr. Harvey Cushing's civilian "Harvard Unit" in France, 1915-17? They were distinct entities; an answer to your question depends on clarifying those details.

In what way is the photograph relevant to your question about uniforms?

Marjorie

Marjorie, thanks for your questions?

It gives me hope that I may some images or actual uniforms.

All I was given was two images both with these ladies sitting. And the Instruction to recreate these:

Harvard University Corp. Costumes.

The curator told me to contact Harvard Radcliffe library as they were suppose to have a copy. But the librarian sent me lots of text links but no more pictures and no costume.

In short I do not know who these nurses served in France.

Would you be able to share what you have and/ or know about both?

Seajane,

Thank you. I found a used book that is willing to ship to Canada. I hope it has some info and images that can help me.

Out of interest the Gap of Dunloe is a narrow mountain pass between MacGillycuddy's Reeks and Purple Mountain in County Kerry, Ireland. It is about 11 km from north to south (Wikipedia). My first thoughts was that these ladies might be Fany's. They tended to be "in the way" at the front (with the best of intentions) and using their own transport to get about. But this photograph is late (July 1918) and taken in Ireland so I am suspecting that neither woman is wearing a uniform but just sensible riding clothes. A cape is more practical when sat astride a horse and a wide-brimmed hat best against the elements.

Tailored,

Sorry, but the information that you provided doesn't seem to have any bearing on the American "Harvard Units" based in France. Their records don't place them in Ireland and the garb (cape, tunic, hat) worn by the two women doesn't correspond with any standard issue outdoor uniform (American Red Cross or U.S. Army Nurse Corps) worn by trained nurses originating from the U.S.

Marjorie

Thank you Marjorie and Jim,
Especially for pointing out the photo was taken in Ireland. perhaps they went there to visit family on break from war?
I will have some questions to ask the curator when she returns from Christmas break.

So what did the Harvard Corp wear?
They were civilians that joined the war before the U.S. did.
Did they wear Red Cross uniforms???

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Heather Butler

This photograph comes from my collection.

The nurse on the right is my paternal grandmother, Gertrude E. English, who served with the Harvard Medical Unit, under British Expeditionary Forces in Camier, near Etaples, France. She nursed British soldiers at #22 General Hospital there for almost three years. Gertrude was from St. John's, Newfoundland (then its own country, now a Canadian province) and graduated from the Battle Creek Sanatarium and Hospital Training School for Nurses, in Michigan, USA where her eldest sister lived.

The nurse on the left is Margaret Mulock of Upper Le Have, Nova Scotia. Canada. The two became inseparable friends in France, and were dubbed "The Heavenly Twins'" by someone, a name that stuck thoughout their war service.

This photograph was taken while they were on leave in Ireland in July, 1918.

They are wearing their regulation uniforms. i presume they were also provided with aprons and veils for active nursing duty.

Heather Butler

Mount Pearl, NL

Canada

Thank you Heather!

I hope you don't mind. I need to pierce your memory of any details of the uniform your grandmother may have mentioned.

Did she write letters or keep a journal where she may have written comments about what she was wearing?

I have found another picture on Pinterest.

The nurses name is Gertrude Dunn

In this version I see there is a "medium grey" band at lower neck. My educated guess is it's a red band at neck.

I will post her picture in next message

file:///Users/susanavera/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail%20Downloads/4638D82D-8B6A-42BC-93F1-B6D0C8ADD1DE/0a5429d049e83200d35425dde831c295.jpeg

Dear Heather,

I have been hired to re-create the uniform your grandmother wore for a museum exhibit, the Rooms.

I would like to do this with all the accuracy possible in respect to your grandmother, all her colleagues and to my contract.

Would you be open to writing me personally? Here is my email: susana@susanavera.com

As soon as you do I'll delete it from the forum.

Thank you,

Susna