Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling Ephemera experts?

Cymro

I'd value the opinion of those ephemera experts out there on this 'operational order'. It accompanies a group of medals I am interesting and I simply dont know if this is likely to be a document produced at the time or a later re-print. It deals with the 114th Brigade's attack on Mametz wood in 1916. There is also a summary of orders in exactly the same format (same paper, same print) which summarises the orders given on 10th July. This (obviously) was produced after the events took place. I was wondering if any of the pals had copies of Brigade or Division-produced orders which look the same/have the same format. I know that it will not be possible to give a definitive answer but I'd welcome any thoughts.

Thanks a lot

Jonathan

post-23-1101129603.jpg

Almost definately an original produced at the time. They're not all that uncommon (quite a few were produced at the same time) and I've got several regarding the Battle of Arras that were found amongst an ex-officer's possessions when he died in the 1970's. Mine all look pretty similar to yours.

Dave.

Dave, thanks very much for that - I suspected they might be period produced. Good to hear from you again. Did you have any luck finding those 1915 Ypres trench maps?

Regards

J

Looks good to me. I am looking at the '38th (Welsh) Division Order no. 30' which is very similar in format though not quite as detailed. Got a copy of that from the War Diary of the Swansea Bn so its 'real'.

Looks like someone 'down the chain' a bit has repeated the thrust of the higher level order and then added in unit specific detail.

Bernard

For what it is worth, it looks correct to me ... paper, typeface, copy quality. I have also had similar documents in the past which look very similar. Hope it helps.

Did you have any luck finding those 1915 Ypres trench maps?

Hi Jonathan.

No luck whatsoever! :(

Dave.

You could always have a look at the Brigade War Diary or the War Diaries of the battalions of that brigade to see if there is an original preserved as part of the National Archives and compare.

Cheers