Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. E.A. Clarke, No.5 Squadron RFC

Ken Lees

I am searching for information on a local man and hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction:

2/Lt. Eric Alan Clark(e) of No.5 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps died on 20th March, 1918 aged 20yrs.

He was buried at Christ Church, Aughton near to the family home, so I assume he died in the UK.

Where can I find out more about him?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Ken

2Lt E A Clark of No 4 Aircraft Acceptance Park was killed while flying Sopwith Camel C8263 on 20 March 1918. The aeroplane crashed while being delivered.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

Ken

2Lt E A Clark of No 4 Aircraft Acceptance Park was killed while flying Sopwith Camel C8263 on 20 March 1918. The aeroplane crashed while being delivered.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

So, would No.5 Squadron have been his parent unit but at the time he was attached to No.4 AAP?

So, would No.5 Squadron have been his parent unit but at the time he was attached to No.4 AAP?

Ken

He served with No 5 Squadron on the Western Front until wounded in the leg on 29 April 1917 while flying BE2f 2551 on an Artillery Patrol, with AM Morley as observer. It looks like he was posted to No 4 AAP after recovery.

Gareth

In his own words: "I was proceeding in a southerly direction over the village of BAILLEUL when an Albatros scout flying at my own height ie 3000 feet attacked us from behind. My Gunner immediately engaged the H.A. while I manoeuvred my machine out of his line of fire. My Gunner's gun jambed after about 6 shots owing to double feed in drum. The combat lasted about 5 minutes. The hostile Machine flew away over his lines for no apparent reason and was not attacked by any of our machines." (5 Squadron Combat reports AIR1/1217/204/5/2634).

According to my grandfather's diary the combat in which Clark(e) was wounded actually occurred on the 28th, the date of the above extract, though it doesn't mention his injury. E.A.C didn't sign it though - just Morley.

The diary suggests that EAC was also seconded on 25th March 1917 from No.5 to No.16 Squadron for a time, along with some others. It is not clear how long he was there but he was still away from No.5 on 9th April as the diary mentions the writer running into him when visiting No.2 Squadron. There are references to "Clark(e)" in the diaries from 3rd October 1916. However it is quite extraordinary how No.5 Squadron seemed to be full of people with the same or very similar names and I suspect that the one there in October was someone else. The list of casualties he wrote out include "Clarke wounded January 1917" as well as "E.A. Clark wounded 28th April 1917" - the use of his initials used perhaps to distinguish him from the other Clarke.

James Kerr, pilot in No.5 1916-17

Just managed to have a look on the airhistory site. The "other" Clark(e) mentioned in the diaries appears to be 2/Lt A.W. Clarke, an observer who was "wounded" (sic) in a flying accident on 27 January 1917.

I said that No.5 was full of people with the same name. The Airhistory lists also have an "E.A. Clarke" with No.5 in June 1917. Possibly Eric Alan Clark, returned to No.5 - or Edward Adams Clarke!

There was also an FCE Clark(e) killed in October 1917; an FWP Clark in June 1918, an H Clark and a J Clark in January 1918!