Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Museum at Bovington

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

It has been something like 25 years since my parents took me down to Dorset to visit the Tank Museum.

Does it have an area dedicated to the Machine Gun Corps?

Ian

:rolleyes:

PS Should add this and my previous post are concerned with a visit for a foreign VIP (to my employer!)

Ian

The Tank Museums web site is at www.tankmuseum.co.uk

Typing Machine Gun Corps into its search facility brought up just one reference which stated that there is a Mark I Tank of 1916 in the colours of C Coy, Heavy Branch MGC.

There is an e-mail contact on the site which may be useful.

Guest Forgotten_soldier

Ian

went there a couple of years ago,they have one hall concerning WW1 from memory with several WW1 tanks,unfortunately as my interest in WW1 is only recent I was more interested in the WW2 section so couldn't tell you what WW1 armour they have.They also have a WW1 trench you walk through into the hall with a life size diorama of the first tank attack.Sorry can't remember about the MGC,do remember they have a large display of medals in the WW1 hall but can't remember if they are all WW1 or covering all periods of the Royal tank Regiment.(excuse my ignorance but were the MGC forerunners of the RTR?).Museum is DEFINTELY worth the visit,We drove for 2 hours each way and were not disappointed.

Regards

Sean

There isn't an MGC display per se, but there is a large case of medals - a complete personal collection, whose name escapes me - which are MGC, and not just Heavy Branch.

I've been to Bovington about four times, but my last visit was about 7 years ago. Like Sean I was more interested in WWII at the time and that collection is truly awesome - standing in front of the Panzer V 'Panther' is a humbling experience. On the WWI side, which is naturally a smaller collection, they have (if I recall correctly) the famous 'Little Willie', a Hornsby Tractor, a MkV, a Rolls Royce A/C, a Whippet (Caesar II, in which Lt. C.H. Sewell won a VC, posthumously, on 29 August 1918) and an FT17 at the very least. I cannot recall anything specifically related to the MGC, but to be honest at that time I probably wouldn't have had much of a clue what MGC stood for let alone what they did.

All the best,

Andrew

Its a few years since i went but my recollection is that they had done up the ww1 theme and were moving onto other areas ie, ww2 and modern etc. If that is the case i do not remember any thing specific to the MGC which may be outside their remit. That said its a brill place to go the wife really loves it (nothing drives fear through her more than the words lets go to bovvie.)

Arm.

Arm,

Can understand the wifes reaction. I've seen it. I took mine whilst on honeymoon in Dorset!! Am I an old romantic or what?

All the best,

Andrew

(P.S. Curiously, I am frequently reminded of this event - usually shortly after I've said such things as, "not another pair of shoes, surely?") :(