Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British 18 pounder ?

Dorset1

Would need dimensions - 13-pr. calibre is 3", 18-pr. 3.3".

The cart case dimensions can be a poor guide to the calibre of the shell. Working it out is a bit chicken & egg. because it depends somewhat of the complete round configuration (ie fixed, semi-fixed or separate loading). However, as long as it wasn't separate loading the internal diameter of the mouth should give the answer. Of course if its a British round Guns were designated by shell weight (pounds), whereas howitzers were designated by calibre (imperial measurements).

18 pounder case dimensions below appear greater than what you quote for your photo. 13 pounder case was even a little longer.

736px-18pdrCartridgeCaseDiagram1.jpg

85mm base diameter is clearly undersize for 18-pr. Maybe 15-pr. QF? That'd have a 3" case mouth, but I can't find cartridge dimensions.

85mm base diameter is clearly undersize for 18-pr. Maybe 15-pr. QF? That'd have a 3" case mouth, but I can't find cartridge dimensions.

I checked dimensions, QF 15 pounder case appears much shorter (I calculated it as 167 mm) , although base approximates 85-mm, assuming case mouth is approx 3-inch :

QF15pdrCartridgeMkIII.jpg