Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US Surcharged Canadian Model 1905 .303 Ross Rifle

varifleman

Here for your perusal is Ross Model 1905 .303 rifle original Canadian serial number 459 produced in 1909 and later US serial number 18821 with bayonet which first saw service with the Canadian Army and then in 1917 was among the 20,000 rifles transferred to the U.S Army.

pix569189741_2.jpg

pix380240908.jpg

pix314409189_1.jpg

pix450438742.jpg

pix495859770.jpg

In the fourth photo down in the first post. The bolt handle seems to have a British military proof mark of the crossed pennents. I would have expected to see the Dominion of Canada proof mark of crossed pennents and the leters DCP. Perhaps this marking was not in use when the rifle was made?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

I have a Ross/US bayonet. I assume that the US used these Ross rifles only in training? My example has been much sharpened. Thanks for the photos.

Ken

In the fourth photo down in the first post. The bolt handle seems to have a British military proof mark of the crossed pennents. I would have expected to see the Dominion of Canada proof mark of crossed pennents and the leters DCP. Perhaps this marking was not in use when the rifle was made?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Nice pickup Alan; perhaps some other forum members who are more well-versed re British/Canadian proof marks can enlighten us. I'm looking forward to the next trip to the range with a report to follow.