Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID for Bayonet please.

GWF1967

Hi,

Could anyone please ID my impulse purchase. It's covered in markings some quite faded. Scabbard is unmarked as far as I can see.

post-119457-0-03893700-1449329626_thumb.

More views.

You have a Pattern 1888 Mk.I 2nd Type bayonet.

The pommel marking ' D ' is the seldom seen ' Dragoons ' mark, with ' 0456 ' being the bayonet's serial number.

Regards,

LF

More views.

You also have a couple of other interesting markings, the WD ' Broad Arrows ' shown tip to tip, is the ' Sale Mark ' indicating that the bayonet had been sold out of government service.

The mark similar to 2 Capital ' Rs ' being back to back, is typically stamped when for some reason, the weapon is considered unsafe, and would be used for drill purposes only.

The ' crown/BR/86 ' is the ' Birmingham Repair ' mark, indicating that the bayonet had undergone repair at the Birmingham Royal Small Arms Factory.

Regards,

LF

Basically you have a very nice find there for an impulse buy! I am quite envious! LF is essentially spot on the ball with those ID's.

Just to add that 'D' for Dragoons is found in the 1897 Armourer's markings, and although the original issue date of your one is not clear, the other marks and the type support an early date - being a Mk I/2 it basically predates 19 May 1899 as some of the 'refurbishing' marks indicate - oh-oh. just had a flash of a new message on this so I'll stop there...

EDIT: and continue... All in all, a very interesting piece, as I know my learned friends will agree, with lots of nice markings. So, enjoy!

Trajan

You have a Pattern 1888 Mk.I 2nd Type bayonet.

The pommel marking ' D ' is the seldom seen ' Dragoons ' mark, with ' 0456 ' being the bayonet's serial number.

Regards,

LF

Thanks for the ID and further information. I have found another Crown BR Stamp BR 47.

Any idea of value? Not looking to sell, I paid £15.

... Any idea of value? Not looking to sell, I paid £15. ...

Well, all I can say is.... :thumbsup: Assuming that you are seriously not looking to sell, then reflect on the fact that its does have - as LF pointed out - a rather rareish marking, and so even without looking into the history involved, if it is a Dragoon P.1888 then any P.1888 collector and some others would not mind having it in their collection.

Thanks for the ID and further information. I have found another Crown BR Stamp BR 47.

Any idea of value? Not looking to sell, I paid £15.

Very difficult to advise on value, which is often related to condition. However, on the other hand, you have a seldom seen ' Dragoons ' pommel mark, which will certainly appeal to those interested in collecting pommel marks.

Also, you should be able to replace or repair that broken scabbard.

With you having paid only 15 pounds, you are sure to make a profit !

Regards,

LF

Well, all I can say is.... :thumbsup: Assuming that you are seriously not looking to sell, then reflect on the fact that its does have - as LF pointed out - a rather rareish marking, and so even without looking into the history involved, if it is a Dragoon P.1888 then any P.1888 collector and some others would not mind having it in their collection.

I'm hanging on to it! I thought it was too good to say no. It came from a regular source of interesting items and had been put aside for me.

He makes a living from what he sells, I'm just on preferential rate!!

I'm hanging on to it! I thought it was too good to say no. It came from a regular source of interesting items and had been put aside for me.

He makes a living from what he sells, I'm just on preferential rate!!

Lucky one there! Keep tabs on that dealer!