Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German 'Flying Pig' shell

Khaki

I have read about these in most memoirs that I have, but I have never seen a photograph of what they (German type) actually looked like. From what I have read they seem to be 'drum' shaped.

Does anyone have a clear photograph of one that they could post ?

thanks

khaki

Khaki,

Some 15 years ago we (the Diggers) found a "flying pig" in German position (Fortin 17) here in Boezinge. This is a photo.

Scroll down to the 14th photo. Not a good one, but somewhere I think I have better ones.

To be honest, though I wrote "German flying pig", I must say I am not 100 % sure it is German. But I did inquire, and the result (advice by an expert at the time) was : German.

http://www.mausershooters.org/diggers/E/activiteiten/bommen/welkom.htm

Aurel

I'm pretty sure that's a British 9.45-inch 'Flying Pig' heavy trench mortar shell.

The German projectile described by Khaki, whatever you call it, sounds like the improvised short-range projectiles resembling a drum or rounded canister with a conical top that were fired from Erdmörser ('earth mortars') or Albrecht and similar crude trench mortars. Basically, a rough-and-ready way of lobbing a small dustbin filled with explosives and scrap metal at the enemy from a short distance away.

Mick,

OK. British it must be. (Or who knows ... French ?)

And I don't remember who suggested it was German, 12 years ago. Maybe I also based my opinion on this drawing, resembling "our" pig. Though the tail fins in the drawing are longer. (Are they ?)

(And ... I am glad the "beast" kept quiet when I cleaned it a little for the photo, and its nose fell off ! :-). But I do remember the face of that woman looking at the thing when we brought it to the surface, and when she murmured : My God, did my children sleep for years with that monster under their bed ?!?!)

Aurel

post-92-0-49730600-1449315697_thumb.jpg

Candidates for the "flying Pig" title could include rounds from thethe 24.5 Ladungs Morser or the 25Cm Heavy Minenwerfer.

post-97-0-56058600-1449316614_thumb.jpg

And here is the 25cm Minenwerfer round

Mike

post-97-0-50392700-1449316794_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's a British 9.45-inch 'Flying Pig' heavy trench mortar shell.

The German projectile described by Khaki, whatever you call it, sounds like the improvised short-range projectiles resembling a drum or rounded canister with a conical top that were fired from Erdmörser ('earth mortars') or Albrecht and similar crude trench mortars. Basically, a rough-and-ready way of lobbing a small dustbin filled with explosives and scrap metal at the enemy from a short distance away.

Excellent replies, images & photographs which I found fascinating, thank you all, the description above also seems to match what I have read, particularly the reference to a dustbin, slowly tumbling through the sky, to explode with devastating effect destroying trenches, dugouts and burying men and equipment and often killing by concussion. How were those improvised drums detonated? burning time fuse or by contact/impact?

thanks

khaki

The 9.45 In Mortar was refered to as the 'Flying Pig' also as a 'Quarter to Ten' ! When I was first taught this the instructer used the 'Flying Pig' nickname, so it was definately a British term some 36 years ago!

Rod

The British, French and German versions of the 9.45 in mortar bomb are virtually identical and are known as the 'flying pig' or 'cochon volant'. The German version seems to have forward and rear driving bands on the casing. See this drawing from Major Hicks's 'German Weapons, Uniforms, Insignia, 1914 - 1918'. Most will know that there is a projector (probably British) for the 'pigs' in front of the Church at Longueval, on the Somme. - SW

post-47661-0-51695100-1449834983_thumb.j

Better photos

British 9.45 inch bomb at IWM Duxford :

640px-9.45_inch_Trench_Mortar_Bomb_Duxfo

British 9.45 inch bomb diagrams :

800px-9.45inchTrenchMortarBombsMkIMkIIDi