Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Uniform 2

KONDOA

Hi

What do you think of the possibility of it being a "Wheelwright" badge? It does have a passing resemblance to ther post war one, seen at that angle....Gareth

Hi Gareth

Well thats certainly a possibility and would have been appropriate for this battery prior to this photograph being taken. I cannot say Ive ever seen either of the suggestions to date. Thanks for the response I shall look out for other examples.

Roop

I also think it's a letter O in a wreath which was the Observers badge. Not to be confused with a RFC/RAF Observers badge although I don't know what the exact role (besides the obvious) and qualification of an Observer was.

I expect it was what is now known as an artillery spotter.

Roger.

Thanks again Roger, It seems most likely. I found a Wheelwrights /Carpenters badge and it appears as a 12 spoke wheel so Observer it must be.

Roop

it would appear that proficiency badges are surrounded by a wreath of laurels, while trade badges are plain...Gareth unless some pal knows different I'm no expert.

Thanks again, Gareth, I did have a trawl through some badges on the net and what you say certainly has some basis. Unfortunately I didnt actually find this particular badge. The wheelwright badge certainly didnt have any laurels.

Roop