Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3659 L\CPL Patrick J. Crowe - R\Mun. Fusilers

fattycrowe

Hello All!

Find attached a photo of my grandfather.

I always knew that he served with the Royal Munster Fusilers. I have his 1914 - 1915 Star and his Victory medal. The Star inscription reads : "3659 PTE. P/J. Crowe R. Muns. Fus." . His Victory medal inscription reads: " 3659 A.CPL. P.J. Crowe R. Mun. Fu". I also have his SWB (Number on back is 450897).

I downloaded his MCI recently and to my surprise is states that he also served with three other regiments. The MCI contains medal roll and page info. The MCI regiment list is as follows:

R. Mun Fus Pte 3659

R. W. Fus L/Cpl 86825 ( Royal Welsh Fusilers)

R. Ir Rif 1898 (Royal Irish Rifles)

L'pool R 8991 (Liverpool Rifles)

He entered the French Theatre of war on 12\12\15 and was discharged om 13\6\18.

From help here on the forum I have gleaned that he served with 8th (Service) Btn RMF.

Any ideas on the unifrom?It strikes me that this isn't the typical uniform for the French theatre. Would it be cermonial? Would it be for another theatre of war? Did any of the other regiments serve in theatres of war other than France.?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brendan Crowe

post-23-1101069528.jpg

He is wearing the KD (Khaki Drill) uniform with Wolseley Pattern helmet and Pattern 1914 Leather Infantry Equipment, probably c.1916/18. This uniform was worn in India, Mesopotamia, Egypt etc (e.g hotter climates than the Western Front). Hope this is a little help, I'm sure other readers will be able to give you more info on the Batalion's service overseas.