Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

03 bayonet scabbard makings 2 / I N S Y

dickiek

I have seen a 1903 pattern bayonet with an all brown leather scabbard, it has a leather tip to the end of it, not an metal external / internal tip.

The leather frog is missing the belt loop.

Stamped on the leather is the following 2 / I N S Y, any help on what this abbreviation is please

Thanks

Richard

Stolen from Wikipedia.

2/1st North Somerset Yeomanry Edit

The 2nd Line regiment was formed in 1914 and in January 1915 it joined 2/1st South Western Mounted Brigade. In May it was in the Calne area, it moved in September to the Canterbury area and to the Colchester area in March 1916.[3] On 31 March 1916, the remaining Mounted Brigades were ordered to be numbered in a single sequence;[11] the brigade became the 15th Mounted Brigade and joined 4th Mounted Division.[3]

In July 1916, the regiment was converted to a cyclist unit in 6th Cyclist Brigade, 2nd Cyclist Division (4th Mounted Division redesignated). In November 1916 the 2nd Cyclist Division was broken up and the regiment was merged with the 2/1st Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry to form 10th (Wiltshire and North Somerset) Yeomanry Cyclist Regiment in 4th Cyclist Brigade in the Ipswich area. In March 1917 it resumed its identity as 2/1st North Somerset Yeomanry, still in 4th Cyclist Brigade at Ipswich. In July it was at Wivenhoe and in November at Walton-on-the-Naze. Early in 1918, the regiment moved to Ireland with 4th Cyclist Brigade and was stationed in Dublin; there was no further change before the end of the war.[12]