Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

esthameian

I am trying to find some details about the military hospital associated with the transit camp and cemetery at Saint Germain au Mont d'Or, which was named as Le Manoir Fleurie in a post by Duncan Wylie (Edinburgh, Scotland) on 11th August 2015.

"My Aunt lives in Lyon and she wrote about the camp which was where my Grandfather was for a time during WW1 He was with the Black Watch and may have been wounded and in the hospital mentioned above because he met a lady who later became his wife (my Grandmother) whilst she was nursing there.

My Aunt thought the camp was a transit camp for troops to be dispatched to the northern ports of Cherbourg and Le Havre. The troops came from the Italian post of Torente (Italy was on the Allied side then) The journey was slow and uncomfortable and rest camps were set up - this camp was opened in spring 1917 and was camp no 2.

It had 150 circular tents taking 10 men each. Between spring 1917 and April 1919, 500,000 men passed through this camp. Those that were ill were housed at the Military hospital in a big house in the village called Le Manoir Fleurie. In the last 6 months of 1918 a great number died of Spanish flu and were buried in the cemetery next to the village. During the WW2 10 airmen were also buried there. Every year on Nov 11th a ceremony is organised to remember - even during 1940-44.

I have a rather faded picture of Camp Anglais showing troops departing which I would be happy to pass on to those interested".

The reason for my interest is a man who appears on our village war memorial in Drinkstone, Suffolk (Sapper William Edwards, Royal Engineers, 158th Army Troops Coy, Army No. 216710). He was en route to England from Tarranto in Italy, when he was taken ill. According to his Medical Case Sheet, he was admitted to the hospital on 29th August 1918 which also quotes a 'station' reference: "Military Hosp. A.P.O. S.85." He died at around 6pm on 3rd September 1918, cause of death being recorded initially as Meningitis, subsequently amended to Cerebral Malaria following a post mortem. He is buried in St Germain-au-Mont-d’Or Communal Cemetery Extension (plot B.15)

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Bonjour,

I know your post was sent nearly one and a half year ago but I hope I can get in touch with you.

The village of Saint Germain au Mont d'Or, where I live, is preparing for the 100 year anniversary of the British transit camp which was set up in the Pré des anglais as you write it. The ceremony will take place on the 18th of November 2017. Every year we hold a British and French ceremony in the village but for the 100 year anniversary we want to have something special.

For the town hall, I am preparing an exhibition and we are trying to find letters, stories, postcards etc about the transit camp which was set up in the village.

If anyone can get in touch with me and send me some information that could help in preparing for the anniversary I would be really grateful.

Thank you in advance,

Best wishes,

Ben

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon Ben

I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to find your post and to reply! There's not much more I can add to what I've already posted, I'm afraid. 

I’m the Vice Chairman of the Drinkstone War Memorial Institute (Village Hall) in Suffolk, near Bury St Edmunds. This is our village’s official war memorial and a registered charity. In 2014, to commemorate the centenary of the First World War and to honour the 15 men from Drinkstone who died during the Great War, we decided to mount an exhibition about each man on the 100th anniversary of their deaths. The thirteenth man to be remembered in this way will be William Edwards, who died on 3rd September 1918.

I am hoping to meet one of William Edwards descendants before too long and should I manage to find any additional information, relevant to your research, I will contact you again.

Very best of luck!

Robin 

• 8 months later...

Good afternoon Ben

I realise that it's been almost a year since we have been in contact (see below), but I hope you will excuse me for this. Sadly, the original person I was hoping to speak to, a descendant of William Edwards, passed away before I had a chance to speak with him properly. However, I have now made contact with two of the soldier's grandchildren and I have arranged to meet them next Monday. If I find any information which may be relevant to you, I will be happy to pass it on. Meanwhile, I don't suppose you could do me a big favour? Could you possibly take a photograph of William Edwards' gravestone for me? I would not only use this in my own research, but I am sure that William Edwards' grandchildren would be delighted to see a photo of his resting place. I would be very grateful!

All good wishes,

Robin Sharp

Drinkstone, Suffolk

• 3 years later...

OP,

I am not sure why some of your post is in quotes but do you still have access to the photo you mention in para 5?  I have just found that my grandad passed through the camp in July 1917.

Good evening Stuart

Thanks for contacting me. I'm afraid I'm unable to help you very much. The section of my post in italics of 25th November 2015 was actually quoting a previous post from Duncan Wylie of Edinburgh of 11th August 2015. It was Duncan who said he had a picture of Camp Anglais showing troops departing, which he offered to pass on to those interested. So, it's Duncan who should be able to help you - I haven't seen it. 

Best wishes,

Robin