Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC's The Great War

Tim Birch

Glad to see that this superb series is back on track for Saturday evenings on BBC2. It is fascinating to watch the interviews with ex-soldiers, who are still relatively young as the series was shot in the 1960's.

Their testimonies are crisp, articulate and vivid. It is refreshing to listen to them, rather than to read it second hand in books. Have other Bakerlites noticed this?

Tim

Tim

Have you seen Forgotten Men? Not so much in the way of interviews as we would expect today, rather a sound bite to illustrate the images... It was shot in 1934 so the vets look even younger.

What interests me is their facial expression as they tell their tales, it tells more about the horror of war than any words..

John

• 3 weeks later...

The Great War is available on BBC DVD and Video boxed set. As with many releases although more expensive the DVD is better value as you get all sorts of additional extras. For heaven's sake don't confuse this with a much inferior American series of the same name which was at one time widely available in a boxed set. Loads of people have bought this by mistake. I think it has officially been deleted but I still saw it in the Leeds Royal Armouries Museum shop a few weeks ago where it was implied in a display that it was the BBC series. 'Forgotten Men' is available from DD Video of Cheshire (as is The Great War,although shop around for the best price). Unfortunately I don't have their catalogue to hand, but their website is:

http://www.ddvideo.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest camjas

Thanks I will look into this website and thanks for the info,

I did get a single dvd of the great war, which is originally from the us, a bit bias but all I could find.

New Zealand is probably in Zone 4 with Australia and South America. It appears the DVD is only Zone 2 at this time and I am in Zone 1. I have plans on ontaining the DVD and a second player that I will set to Zone 2 permanently. In this manner I can watch other European DVD's whenever I want.

Ralph

I am now watching the series in my own time as I do seem to forget to tape it... I received the DVD set for my birthday... but agree with what is written here..

The maps are very 60s.

I recently watched a programme on El Alamein with Peter and Dan Snow, and the representations were very Peter Snow!! All Computer graphic images quite the latest!!

John

Hello John, Multi Region DVD players are quite scarce here and expensive and I was informed that I could just switch a relatively inexpensive local player to meet my needs. thanks for the thought.

John, I am located in the U.S., in a small village in Central New York State near Lake Ontario.

Ralph

Ralph

Do places like Circuit City or any of the big department stores carry them? I just had a look at Sears but the best they do is multi format which is not multi region in my book...

John

John, From what I have been told a basic DVD system (Sears, Best Buys, Circuit City etc.) is normally region 1 in the U.S. but that they can be reset to another region. This can be done 3 times if my memory is correct before the unit becomes permanently set to the Region last used. This is why I am going to confirm these details and then set the DVD to Region 2 and leave it as is. It will be designated my European DVD player.

I believe almost any Region 1 player can be changed, just check with the sales people or on-line, I remember seeing something along these lines when I first searched for a multi-regional player. They are quite expensive here in the U.S.

Ralph

Changing to multi-region is known as 'chipping'. It can be done (certainly in Europe) quite cheaply. When it all started over here, it was considered quite illict, dodgy, whatever. The main problem was that if you had a 'brand' player chipped, you automatically invalidated the guarantee. What has happened in the UK is that quite reputable dealers now offer 'chipped' brand-name players, with their own, vendor's, guarantee. There is also a vast range of purpose-built multiregion players available in Europe now.

The major manufacturers do NOT sell 'chipped' players as they would be in all kinds of hot water with the movie companies.

I can see why 'chipped' players are so hard to find in the US, as most people want their machines changed to play.... Region 1 US/Canada discs!

BTW - the 'lock-up' scenario (where the other region you set could become permanent) also applies to PC DVD drives, caution!

Hope that wasn't too techno-nerdy... :blink:

Phil

I know that Cynthia, a US member of this forum has a multi-region player which is working well.

Yes, given the very low price of DVD players , it is now viable to have 2 - one being for region 1/2 overseas discs depending on where you live. Enhanced tougher regional coding is now with us which defeats some modded DVD players. Its a constant fight for the consumer to get what they want.

Some of the permanent modifications to machines to make them multi-region also have the additional benefit of having the macrovision anti-copy software disabled which means you can copy DVDs to tape - or even to recordable DVD if you have the technology - for your own domestic use only of course.

The BBC has got hopelessly confused with the running order of the series. Tonight's (7th June) was supposed to be Gallipoli but turned out to be the (frankly rather dull) 'munitions crisis' episode.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if there is a list of the participating veterans from the series?

The IWM has all the correspondence received from the veterans bound into a large number of files reference BBC/GW. These are arranged alphabetically, and include all those who sent in letters and reminiscences - not just those who appeared in the series. I think there may also be stuff about the making of the series, scripts etc.

I dont think the BBC/GW files have an index of their own covering individuals and the units they served with - this would be useful. The individuals in it dont yet appear in the online catalogue, and didnt appear individually in the card index of units.

Perhaps one of the IWM guys on the forum can elaborate.