Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit marked 84/98 n.A.

motojosh

1917 dated and marked to the Baden Infantry Regiment Kaiser Friedrich III nr 114.

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

date.jpg

That is an unusual one, so late and yet with a unit-mark! Nice find!

Unit Markings

I must say that I am a little surprised at the markings. Everything I have read says that this was stopped in 1915 and no later than 1916. But the proof is in the picture.

Something similar.

This is what I have seen called a "Sneak" Model 1884/98 German Bayonet. The only book I have seen with this bayonet is Janzen's Notebook on PAGE 98, which gives a limited description. This bayonet was made for exports as well for the Czech VZ 24, Short Rifle among others. But this one was actually used by the Germans as you can see by the absence of the Muzzle Ring which was removed and not manufactured this way along with an added flashguard. The Germans found that not only did the flashguard prevent muzzle flash burns to the grip but it also protected the grips from splitting when used as a hammer. The "Sneak" models were weapons which were supposedly for export or commercial sales, however were marked and used the by the German Armed Forces. There are markings all over this bayonet with the iron eagle, even on the sheath. The blade is marked W.K.O. There are NO German manufacturing marks, no proof marks, just the number 37 on the spine of the blade.??????

post-115862-0-68055300-1448180330_thumb.

post-115862-0-91595200-1448180345_thumb.

post-115862-0-25246300-1448180351_thumb.

post-115862-0-76117900-1448180356_thumb.

Edited by aussiesoldier

Hi Aussie,

on 28 January, 1909, DVE 185 was issued stating that only weapons in service with active units and a few other bodies were to be unit-marked, and that all other weapons were to be unit-marked only on that unit's mobilisation.

However, on 9 February, 1912 a directive was issued stating that the DVE 185 instructions regarding weapons marking were to be suspended in the event of mobilisation (suggesting to me that unit-marking was to stop in time of war), that directive being followed in October 1913 by DVE 298a, which restated that only weapons in active service were to be unit-marked.

The 2nd November 1916 saw the issue of a directive stating that the unit marking of weapons "...ist während des krieges nicht erforderlich", so was 'not necessary for the duration (sic) of the war ', while on 26 December 1916, another directive was issued stating that no clothing or equipment need be unit-marked.

So, my reading of the texts is that unit-marking was never actually officially stopped, it was just deemed unnecessary during wartime...

As for your bayonet, well, that is a 3rd Reich one - the immediate give aways were the blueing of the blade, the slot in the press stud, the slotted screw-bolts, and the WKC stamp, which reveals that this is a so-called 'Commercial' bayonet made to official standards by Weysersburg and Kirschbaum Co., '37' being for the year 1937. If this does have 'eagle' stamps, they should be on the pommel, and these 'WaffenAmt' stamps will indicate that it has been requisitioned / accepted into German military service. The 'serial' number on the pommel, though, is wrong (in my experience) for a German bayonet, but looks fine for an Israeli 'serial' - the Israelis used Kar.98k's and their clones along with S.84/98 type bayonets in 1948, before making their own version of this bayonet in 1949.

Trajan

Lovely bayonet motojosh - I love seeing your unit marked examples!

Thanks jscott

That is an unusual one, so late and yet with a unit-mark! Nice find!

The '17 date was a nice surprise as the seller didn't have a clear photo of the spine. The other interesting aspect of this one is the company number higher than 12, I've only ever seen this occur on 2 or 3 other unit marked items.

13th Co. was, of course, the machinegun company.