Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Shell Hole in Ieper

geluveld

Hi all

It may be of interest to some that Patrik from the Shell Hole bookshop is considering a return to business.

Heard that he acquired a building in the vicinitynof his former shop and is seriously busy with a re-opening of his bookshop.

Could be very interesting for the people that are into the older-rarer book, from a seller that actually knows his business about the subject...

As soon as I have more info, I will post it...

GO FOR IT PATRIK,if you do hope you will smile a bit more :w00t:

Biff

Living and working in Ypres I miss my once often weekly chats with Patrik on his shop door step. Great guy and wonderful book shop to boot! :thumbsup:

Patrik told me that he has acquired the old pizza shop La Luna in the Elverdingestraat.

That would be about 50m from the Memorial Church and within a 5min walk from the Menin gate.

Also, it will not be the 'regular' bookshop.

As he has a love for discussion, he will make in the old Shell Hole annex coffee/tea house.

Patrick style off course :-)

So old regulars that came over can have a rummage in the older books, and have a brew + discussion afterwards...

Opening could come rather quick if all goes well.

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

The Shell Hole is back up and running.

Ye who has an interest in a good selection of WW1 books ...

Ye who enjoyes a chat 'Patrik style' and/or a drink ...

Ye who just wants to nose about ...

Thou shalt be welcome from tuesday till saturday at The Shell Hole Bookshop (and bar): Elverdingestraat 5, 8900 Ieper

Kind regards,

Patrik from The Shell Hole

Patrik, we shall be staying in Ieper from the 27th March. What are your opening times please?

At the moment I'm open 11AM till1PM and 3PM till 8.30PM.

The remaining time still goes in moving another van of books from my home to my shop.

Kind regards,

Patrik

Did the same place (many years ago) be a bar called 'Charlie Browns', or something similar? Just off the main square, or am I in the wrong strasse?

Patrik will correct me if I should be wrong ...

No, first place past the St George Chapel (and on the left side of the Elverdingestraat).

(Or : John (txic) and Geluveld are right.)

Aurel

• 4 weeks later...

Visited Patrik today. The Shell Hole is in the old La Luna Pizza restaurant. He is still moving and could do with a sign. However it is easy to find as it is the next building after the St Georges church.

He was very friendly!! Made us really welcome, no rush, had a nice beer and a long look around. He let my 15 year old son loose in his shell room!! After a long time, lunch and a walk around Ypres we returned so Adam could make his purchase. A nice HEAVY German Shell! He is a very happy chappy.

In Patrik's own words everything is for sale that you can, see apart from Patrik!

We had a really great time. Recommend all to visit, have a drink and a look around. If you want a book, rare or otherwise it will be there somewhere.

Mention the Great War Forum.

We WILL be back.

• 7 years later...

I'm hoping to visit Ieper this year, is the Shell Hole still in the same location, as listed above?
                Thanks

That's a real pity. I used to love his shop next to the Cloth Hall, spent many a happy hour in their browsing and finding new books to buy and read.