Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French 75 shell part ID

Tony N

Hello,

I have what I believe is some kind of transport safety plug for the French 75mm shell, after searching online I’ve only found explanations in French so, is anyone able to explain where a 'Bouchon obturateur pour gaine d‘obus de 75' belongs and if its a kind of safety cap or not?

One is pictured here http://humanbonb.free.fr/indexAccobus.html It’s the 6th picture from the top.

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

Google translate says " blanking plug for shell jacket 75".

I think you are correct that it is some type of shipping or carrying plug.

I am sure someone can be more exact than I.

Gene

Thanks for checking Gene, I just can't think of what it fits into, it's not exactly a sturdy little item.

Tony

Tony

This is a bit of educated speculation but I would assume it is a protection blanking plug that fits into a high explosive shell in place of the fuze during transit and storage. The fuze contains the detonator which then explodes the gaine which is pre-assembled into the high explosive filling of the shell.

Peter

Ahhhh, I always think of the 75 having one of those beehive fuzes but if those little nipple type fuzes were used as well then yes Peter, your educated speculation may well be correct. Thanks.

Tony

Hello, Tony - Years ago while walking on Cote 304 near Verdun, I found a live French 75mm shell that had been fired. It had one of these transit plugs, bent but otherwise undamaged, in the fuse-hole. [Obviously, the lack of a fuse prevented it from detonating.] Both the shell and the plug It were in excellent shape and there was no doubt as to what the plug was or its purpose. Sorry, I do not have a photo available to attach. Regards, Torrey

Hello Torrey, sounds like you've nailed it and confirmed Peter's thoughts. Thanks very much.

Tony

... it's not exactly a sturdy little item.

Translation of the description certainly confirms the consensus of opinion as to what this object is. If it's 'not exactly a sturdy little item', though, is it actually strong enough to be used as a lifting eye for a complete French 75mm QF round, which was supplied to the artillery in one piece (projectile seated in the filled cartridge case)?

No, it can't be used to lift the shell, to do so it would need to be threaded I'd have thought. A pic of it in hand for size and flimsyness comparison :)

Tony

post-6680-0-87475400-1448191373_thumb.jp

Well you live and learn, I've had one of those in a box of bits for ages. I always assumed it was a bottle stopper of some description, which in a way it is.