Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting a medal card

paul3747

Recently got hold of the medal card for my great grandfather, Lieut.E.W.Ashby. He was with the Royal Field Artillery during WW1 but I would like to try and find out which particular unit. Do all the numbers/letters on the card under "remarks"mean anything that could tell what unit he was with? The card can be seen here:

Medal Card E.W.Ashby

Hope someone can help!

Paul

These are the issue Date information for his Medals,I would suggest you obtain the Roll pages{The Data Immediately after the Medal Listings on the MiC from the NA{Personally~Not On line}the Em/*** @ the Bottom indicates He was Mentioned in Dispatches,I would Check the London Gazette Online for this Entry,& Also for His Commission Details,,another source of Information is The Army Lists Of the Era which should list him,there is a Huge {4" Thick}Volume Available Which Gives The Service Details of All Serving Officers & WOs as of 1918,Try your Library

Thanks for reply and help! I will try London Gazette Online and see what I can find. unfortunately by options are a bit limited as I don't live in UK, have to rely on internet. But thanks very much for help! :)

Captain Edward William Ashby, RFA

Born on 1 June 1875

Served in the ranks for 21 years and 88 days and as a Warrant Officer, 2nd Class for 98 days.

Served on the North West Frontier of India during 1897-98 and received the medal with clasp

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, RFA on 8 May 1915

Served in France and Belgium from 20 July 1915 to 22 July 1917

Appointed as a Temporary Lieutenant, RFA from 11 Jun 1916 to 30 Jun 1917

Served as Adjutant of 84th Brigade, RFA in France from 11 June 1916 to 7 July 1917

Promoted to Lieutenant, RFA on 1 July 1917 and appointed as an Acting Captain on the same day.

Mentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette of 18 May 1917

Regards. Dick Flory