Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lee Enfield

Old Tom

I caught up with the Quizeum BBC programme at the Imperial War Museum. Mildly amusing. It exposed a gap in my knowledge; a matter of names. I have long been aware that Enfield was the location (perhaps still is) of the Royal Small Arms Factory and that the Lee Enfield followed the Lee Metford. Should I be ashamed to admit that I know nothing of Lee or Metford. Can anyone help, briefly?

Old Tom

Well, if you are not an arms buff, then no! No need to ashamed to admit you know nowt about Lee or Metford.

But yes, important names to know about for their works on the workings of rifles, and James Paris Lee and William Ellis Metford both have Wiki entries for a suitable starter.

James Paris Lee was the person upon whos designs both rifles were based. The Americans claim him as an American becasu he did all his design work as an American Citizen. The Canadians say that he is Canadian because he was brought up there. The English say that he was British - because he was actually born in Scotland.

The key technical difference between a Lee-Metford and a Lee-Enfield is the rifling in the barrel.

The Metford rifling is designed to cope with the black powder load used by the early British .303 cartridges. The Enfileld rifling was designed for the later Cordite loaded rounds and was named after the RSAF Enfield Lock, Middlesex were it was developed.

. I have long been aware that Enfield was the location (perhaps still is) of the Royal Small Arms Factory

Old Tom

As far as I know, there is nothing left of the original factory at enfield, I would like to be wrong in this, can members assist??

khaki

There are a few buildings remaining, some derelict, one of the major workshops is a supermarket, there was at one time a tiny museum.

I was told by a friend who took me around the site, that it was almost as if the local council was embarrassed by its past, and are quite keen to erase it from memory.

... it was almost as if the local council was embarrassed by its past, and are quite keen to erase it from memory.

What a shame! The place is an important part of our British heritage!

There are a few buildings remaining, some derelict, one of the major workshops is a supermarket, there was at one time a tiny museum.

I was told by a friend who took me around the site, that it was almost as if the local council was embarrassed by its past, and are quite keen to erase it from memory.

That's a real shame given the history behind Rifle, i would imagine that other Rifle manufactures have held there history in a better state.

Remington,Winchester etc.

None the less. I will try and keep history alive.

Cheers all.

Further confusion can arise if you ponder that Enfield is actually on the Lee (or Lea if you prefer), so you could say the Lee Enfield was made in Enfield on Lee.

Now, that IS crazy PC! Best summed up by the person who mentioned the distinctly unlikely chance of re-naming the 'Black Country' as something else...

Further confusion can arise if you ponder that Enfield is actually on the Lee (or Lea if you prefer), so you could say the Lee Enfield was made in Enfield on Lee.

Ah but it is on the correct (Middlesex) side of the Lea.

I did not know the RSAF was no more. I recall that it had a collection of small arms and assocaiated pieces of equipment in what was called 'the pattern room'. I visited RSAF once or twice in the 60's and was told that the pattern room was closed. I wonder what happened to the exhibits? The Royal Armories Museum at Leeds ? Does anyone know?

Old Tom

The pattern room moved to the Royal Ordnance Factory Nottingham when the Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield closed in 1989. It later moved to the new Royal Armouries in Leeds where it resides still

The School of Infantry collection was in fact from the Small Arms School collection at Hythe.

For those who have the talent & skills I would love to see some of those 'then & now' merged photographs of what's left of the RSAF facilities.

khaki