Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Saxon S98 Bayonet

MikeyH

Over the weekend at the Motorcycle Museum Militaria event I picked up a S98 'pipeback', cut down to a blade length of 262mm, the original leather scabbard has also been cut down to suit. The spine is marked 02 for 1902 and carries the cypher of Georg of Saxony (1902-04).

The crossguard is marked 106.R.1.19, this being the 106th Infantry Regiment (7th Saxon Infantry). The grips are of the early one piece type, the maker is Rheinsche Metalwarren und Maschinefabrick of Soemmerda, who only made these from 1901 to 1903. The ricasso bearing the RM mark and logo of a circle with 4 internal segmented curved lines.

At what period were these reduced in length and who would they have then been issued to? This has been done properly by an armourer and is not a later crude 'cut-down'.

Due to a very frustrating technical problem I am presently unable to attach any photos.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Don't know if you have access to a copy of Anthony Carters - German Bayonets Vol.2. On page 127 he discusses these, many of which seem to have naval markings. Vol.4 contains additional examples. I have one issued to the II MD ( Matrosen division). Klaus Lubbe - German Uniforms & Bayonets page 95 shows a picture of a group of naval ratings from Bataillon Brugge, one if not two of whom are clearly wearing cut down S98's. The ones like yours with army markings are more difficult to pin down and as far as I am aware no concrete evidence in the form of contemporary documents or pictures has been recorded. RM is a scarce maker.

Rolyboy.

Well, 26.2 is not that far off what a 'Turked' bayonet would be. I have a 'Turked' S.98/05 at 25.0, and a 'Turked' M.1890 at 24.0, so that is a possibility. However, the Turkish M.1913 Tophane bayonet and the Turkish M.'1935' have blade lengths of 25.0, so that 25.0 seems to have been what they wanted. In which case, on the whole, MikeyH's looks to be a German 'Naval' modification.

Look also at the thread started by Josh at: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=227320&hl=naval

Trajan

Rolyboy and Trajan,

Thanks for your replies and to Julian for the very interesting link. The back strap on my bayonet is not numbered and the scabbard is not unit marked. The frog stud is of the normal type with two 'twinned line' markings. Finding this makes up for missing out on a 1904 S98 Erfurt full length version without scabbard at a very low price seen on a street market stall fairly recently.

Mike.