Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer's Bronzed Cap Badges

Tim Godden

Hi there,

Does anyone have an example in their collection, or indeed a photo/postcard, of a Royal Scots officer with a bronzed cap badge?

I have a few collar dogs that are bronzed but have never come across anything to suggest that cap badges were worn bronzed.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim

no photo i'm afraid but i have read that as officers got more wise towards staying alive in the trenches ( and out of them) they made themselves much less conspicious by adopting the standard infantry uniform, carrying rifles and getting rid of shiney silver badges

(i'll try and get a reference for this statement)

chris

It is always dangerous to state anything with absolute certainty when it comes to insignia,but the point about bronzed badges was that they were intended to be worn with officers service dress.In service dress officers of Scottish Regiments did not wear the service dress cap but normally wore the Glengarry with the usual officers version of the Glengarry badge.

At the same time they would still wear bronzed collar badges on the S.D jacket if that was the tradition of that particular regiment.

So it is unusual to say the least to come across a bronzed version of a Scottish officers headdress badge.

Having said that I am sure someone will prove me wrong.

Peter Brydon

Hi Chris and Peter,

Thanks for your replies.

Peter that is my experience too, but as you say it is difficult to absolutely rule out something. I have come across an A&SH bronzed cap badge - but like I siad I would be interested to see a Royal Scots one.

Thank you both again for your assistance.

Regards,

Tim