Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Winchester 97

Khaki

Not a trench gun as it lacks the ventilated hand guard, but is a true GW period riot gun as used when guarding prisoners by the MP's and saw continued service right up to Vietnam. A cylinder bored barrel and fast action with exposed hammer makes it a true favorite of all who use them.

khaki

see next post

post-29707-0-16300200-1447801431_thumb.j

Us Military shotguns came in 2 types:

Trench guns - 20 inch, equipped with ventilated handgrip over barrel (to prevent soldier burning hand when gripped for bayonet fight), bayonet mount

Riot Guns - 20 inch barrel, no handgrip or bayonet mount

Trench guns were issued to forward units for such duties as clearing enemy trench or combat patrols

Riot Guns issued to rear area for guarding prisoners and supplies

... Trench guns - 20 inch, equipped with ventilated handgrip over barrel (to prevent soldier burning hand when gripped for bayonet fight), bayonet mount ...

IIRC, the later (Vietnam period) version of this gun could be fitted with a M.1917 bayonet. Is that the same with these?

Me not being clear there... :doh: So, the WW1 version also took the M.1917?

Me not being clear there... :doh: So, the WW1 version also took the M.1917?

Yes.

And the M1917 continued to be fitted to combat shotguns as late as the Vietnam war (and there was a special run of M1917s parkerized and with a plastic handle that was made then for that purpose)

Chris

Winchester Model 12's were also used as trench/riot guns, and early in WWII the US Ordnance Dept. ordered militarized shotguns from

Remington, Savage, Stevens, and Ithaca. In the 1980's I spent many cold mornings on fog patrol at the Federal prison where I worked with a Win. '97 riot gun, loaded with OO Buckshot as in the Great War. It was never the same when these 97's were replaced with M/870 Remington.

new3.2

A US soldier earned the Medal of Honor with a shotgun in WW1. The info I saw yrs ago actually mentioned his use of the shotgun in clearing a trench. A wicked weapon in a closed in area like a trench.

There is also a famous picture taken on IWO JIMA of a US Marine advancing on the beach with a shotgun carried in his hand. He looks like he means business! It would come in handy with caves or sudden attacks by small groups of enemy soldiers as happened so much in the Pacific.