Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Amiens Capture Faschinenmesser

motojosh

Found this at the last militaria show. I've seen this type identified as a model 1864, but oddly the date on this one is 1842. There's a couple others I've found with pre 1864 dates as well, perhaps some earlier model type blades were rehilted?

Quite a long service life I'd say 1842-1918! Unit marking on the cross guard to the 17th Reserve-Proviantkolonne (Reserve Supply Column)

Battle map:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/images/feature/hundreddays/maps/map-01_e.png

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

... There's a couple others I've found with pre 1864 dates as well, perhaps some earlier model type blades were rehilted? ...

Nice looking piece. The Prussians certainly went in for re-hilting, and I'll see what I can find on this model when back home.

Trajan

Not found out anything more about that Seitengewehr itself, but the markings look to be according to the 1877 regulations for Prussia.

FaschinenMesser translates as Fascine cutter or knife

Fascines were bundles of brush wood bound together to throw into a ditch or trench

More of an pioneer tool than a weapon

The suspected date of 1842 matches to that FW cypher, which belongs to Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm IV (Hohenzollern of Prussia) who reigned between 1840 and 1861

Cheers, S>S

Well, hardly a 'suspected' date of '1842' SS when it is nice and clear!!! :thumbsup: Time for the second cup of coffee!!!

The Faschinenmesser is in all honesty outside my comfort zone when it comes to Blankwaffen... But I do have some bits and pieces of information that will help get to grips with this unusual find and establish something about its history before it was 'liberated' in 1918...

According to Faschinenmesser: Preußen, Sachsen, Bayern, Württemberg by Peter-Michel Wolfgang (p.66), the Prussians captured loads of the French infantry sabre briquet during the 1813 Befreiungskrieg. Some of these were re-issued as they were to Prussian troops, others were shortened and given new grips to become the Faschinenmesser M.1839. The Preußische FaschinenMesser Modell 1864 was a development from this M.1839, but using the grip from the Füsilier-Seitengewehr M 1860 and (at first) again the shortened blades of captured French sabre briquet but then purpose-made blades.

So, that's the origin / idea behind the curved blade and handle on that Amiens piece, but what I haven't yet worked out is whether these blades were ever purpose-made for the original M.1839 or if they were re-stamped after inspection so giving the 'FW / 42' on yours.

Trajan

Actually, worth bearing in mind that the Faschinenmesser is ancestral to the S.98/05, which was originally conceived as a 'machette' type bayonet-cum-tool (with sawback) for the Pioniere- and Eisenbahntruppen only, and (without sawback) the Fussartillerie- and Telegraphentruppen.

Trajan

Thanks for the comments!

According to Faschinenmesser: Preußen, Sachsen, Bayern, Württemberg by Peter-Michel Wolfgang (p.66), the Prussians captured loads of the French infantry sabre briquet during the 1813 Befreiungskrieg. Some of these were re-issued as they were to Prussian troops, others were shortened and given new grips to become the Faschinenmesser M.1839. The Preußische FaschinenMesser Modell 1864 was a development from this M.1839, but using the grip from the Füsilier-Seitengewehr M 1860 and (at first) again the shortened blades of captured French sabre briquet but then purpose-made blades.

So, that's the origin / idea behind the curved blade and handle on that Amiens piece, but what I haven't yet worked out is whether these blades were ever purpose-made for the original M.1839 or if they were re-stamped after inspection so giving the 'FW / 42' on yours.

Trajan

Excellent info there. Putting it next to a French Briquet the profile of the original blade can clearly be seen.

Here's another early dated one which predates even the M.1839:

http://www.stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/german-pattern-1864-faschinenmesser-1837-dated-blade.22826.archive.htm

20151118_202632-1.jpg

All three examples that I've found with pre 1864 dates have the S&K mark of Schnitzler & Kirschbaum on the ricasso.