Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish Help - CAPT William Young, Australian Army Veterinary Corps

Blackblue

I was hoping Irish pals may be able to help with this one.

Captain William Young enlisted in Perth, Australia in 1914 and was discharged in 1916 in the UK. In 1912 he was in Fremanlte and 1913 Wyndham, both towns in Western Australia.

The indications from his Service Papers are that he was a veterinarian (MRCVS) educated in Edinburgh at Dick College at some stage prior to the war.

His papers indicate he was born on 20 November 1874. His father Roberts address is listed as Ballymoney, Ireland. Indications are he was single in 1914.

Service Papers here:

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=1912552

I was hoping to determine if there is any surviving family in Ireland and what he did after 1916. I assume from his father's address the family was from Ballymoney.

Rgds

Tim D

A long shot perhaps but worth a look?

1911 Irish Census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballymoney/Market_Street/125747/

Same family on the 1901 Irish Census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballymoney__Urban__and_Ballymoney_Urban_District/Market_Street/1009035/

Contacting the Royal Collage of Veterinary Surgeons might be an idea:

RCVS Knowledge Library

For enquiries relating to book loans, database searches, historical collections and information services.

T 020 7202 0752

E library@rcvsknowledge.org

A long shot perhaps but worth a look?

1911 Irish Census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballymoney/Market_Street/125747/

Same family on the 1901 Irish Census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballymoney__Urban__and_Ballymoney_Urban_District/Market_Street/1009035/

Contacting the Royal Collage of Veterinary Surgeons might be an idea:

RCVS Knowledge Library

For enquiries relating to book loans, database searches, historical collections and information services.

T 020 7202 0752

E library@rcvsknowledge.org

If William Young's DOB, 20 November 1874, is correct then I don't think the attached 1901 and 1911 Census can be for his family. John Moon Young, 1901 Census, was born 04 January 1875 (Ireland Select Birth & Baptisms)

JP

There are two Ballymoney's in Ireland, one in County Antrim and one in County Cork. I had a look at a grave name in Ballymoney Graveyard at Ballineen, Cork where there is a Young family - Robert Young, but this was dated in the early 1800's. Do you know in which County Robert Young lived?

Anne

Hi,

Ballymoney, Co Antrim (AKA 'Cootown')..This may give you a pointer

Trinity Pres,Church from the excellent 'Eddie's extracts'..

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/rohpci/rohballymoneytrinity.html

See all entries under 'Young'..

regards,

David

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001376697/ correct as per Simon.

Thanks guys,

Father's address was Antrim.

Already done Census and College. Will follow up other suggestions.

Great David, fantastic pick up! I see William is mentioned as Market Street at bottom of page.

Rgds

Tim D

I also suspect he fibbed about his Birth date to join the AIF.

I think this is his Birth which marries up with the 1901 and 1911 Census records for the family in Market Street, born in 1872. Mother’s maiden name was Moon, not Moore.

Name: William Young

Birth Date: 28 Nov 1872

Birth Place: Ballymoney, Ant, Ireland

Baptism Place: Ballymoney, Ant, Ireland

Father's name: Robert Young

Mother's name: Ann Jane Moore

FHL Film Number: 255861

Here is the family again in 1901. William has already departed by this time I’m afraid.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003984411/

Can anyone find CAPT Robert Young MC, RIR and CAPT RS Young RAMC who are in the above Honour Roll David provided?

A death (and if married after 1915) would also be handy if it can be tied to the Market Street family.

Rgds

Tim D

Tim,

Few quick bits, can be followed up.

Father Robert of Market Street had a store. He was listed as timber merchant in the census. Later trade lists change this to first timber and hardware then Builder and ironmonger, about 1918.

There are in the Public Records Office of Northern Ireland a set of business records for an R&J Young Builders of Ballymoney dating 1880-1971. Think this will be his family as don't think any other 'Young' family had business that would have been that old in Ballymoney. Should have been listed in the trade directory if there were more Young's trading as builders, there are not in Ballymoney anyway.

So good chance family still around.

The Brother, I'm making a simple assumption now on nothing else than my own feeling using The Presbyterian Rolls before, that R.S is William's brother. William was listed as W & Robert as R.S Young. Initials only, whereas the other has used Robert in full. So they have possibly been listed by different people even though same family. I think the Robert could be the grandson off the 1911 census even though only aged 12 then.

The 'brother' Robert S Young is in England in 1911, working as a doctor in Eccles Lancashire, age 39 [1872] not married, classified as resident in Antrim.

The mother, listed as Market Street, and quite possibly the father signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912. You can get this on line by doing a google for 'Ulster Covenant' then a search by name in the drop boxes for Antrim.

Need to try old phone directories to see if the family stayed around Ballymoney after the business closed. There is a very good web site 'Lennox Wylie' does a lot of old trade directories and phone books I think.

Rob

Great Rob,

Many thanks. I've been looking at directories on Ancestry and they have Robert Snr as timber merchant and hardware.

Tim

Tim,

Robert Steele Young, Coleraine Academical Institute and Edinburgh University [Medical] joined East Lancs Field Ambulance as Lt Sept 1914, promoted may 1915 to Captain.

This would tie in with him working in Eccles Lancs in the 1911 census.

December 1917, Gazetted to be Captain in Terratorial Force Reserve RAMC, initial after name is MB, not MC. Is this a typo?

Is clearly MB not MD, as in medical doctor.

Not sure he went to France.

I would have thought he would be quite easy to find. But no medal index card I can see.

Rob

Definitely a brother....

Name: Robert Steele Young

Birth Date: 10 Aug 1868

Birth Place: Ballymoney, Ant, Ireland

Baptism Place: Ballymoney, Ant, Ireland

Father's name: Robert Young

Mother's name: Ann Jane Moon

FHL Film Number: 101170

Hello Tim,

Small world! Earlier today I was passed your enquiry to the Royal (Dick) Veterinary College. Unfortunately I don't think we will be able to help much. I have a digital copy of the matriculation records between 1905-1915 and he doesn't appear there. Looking at his date of birth I would assume he qualified at some point in the early 1890's. The matriculation records for this period are held in ledgers in the Special Collections department of the University of Edinburgh library but are very brief and it is unlikely they would give more information than you already have. I am not aware that there are alumni records which exist from this period. A colleague of mine is looking to see what else we might have and might be able to turn up more but it will be a long shot.

Interestingly William Young does not appear a hand written booklet entitled "Graduates and Students on Active service" that we found in the college archive and is also held by Special Collections. There is no detail on how this booklet was compiled but presumably having emigrated to Australia he had lost touch with the college by the time the booklet was complied.

A google search of "William Young MRCVS" gives a Brisbane newspaper from 1902 which carries a bulletin that says appointment as an inspector of livestock was terminated at this time which suggests he was in Australia from some time prior to this date. I can't find any record of him serving in the Boer war or of Joining the RAVC after leaving the AAVC in 1916.

I suspect your best bet would be to contact the Clare Boulton at the RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons- the professions regulating body) Trust Library. She will be able to look up his records- his address will be recorded in the Veterinary Register until he died or gave up his membership of the RCVS. If lucky there may even be a record of correspondence which might give an address or a next of Kin. She might also be able to look for an obituary in the Vet Record (or other journal), particularly if we can work out a year of death.

Best of luck with your quest!

Pete

Many thanks Pete,

Indeed it is! I looked in the Australian papers, but had concentrated on Western Australia. I will have a better look for Queensland. I'll follow up on your suggestions. Interesting his brother Robert was also educated in Edinburgh.

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Pete,

Clare was very helpful and able to give me his RCVS Record Card.

This indicates he graduated from Dick College on 17 July 1896 and was working for the Agriculture Department in Perth, Australia in 25 April 1912. It appears he was removed from the roll on 5 April 1924, which suggests he was no longer believed by the RCVS to be practising as a vet.

The card has his address on 17 March 1940 as 216 West 100th Street, New York City. I was able to confirm the address in US Census Records from 1940 indicating he was retired and lodging in apartment 284R. The premises was a large apartment building.

This led me to an Immigration Record which, if him, has him travelling to the United States from Liverpool on 13 January 1917 with his occupation at this time listed as a Director.

I cannot find any firm record of a death. It is a fair assumption he never married and did not have any offspring. We will concentrate on his siblngs.

Many Thanks

Tim D

• 1 month later...

Cheers Pete,

Anyone know how I can confirm this death without paying for a Certificate? I suspect this is why William resigned his commission (his father).

Name:

Robert Young

Estimated birth year:

abt 1838

Date of Registration:

Apr-May-Jun 1916

Death Age:

Registration district:

Ballymoney

Volume:

Page:

FHL Film Number:

Rgds

Tim D

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks mate...3 years late, 

Just saw this!

Reminds me of a correspondence chess match I played once....!

9 minutes ago, kildaremark said:

Reminds me of a correspondence chess match I played once....!

Hopefully not my fault too!