Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chief Petty officer

museumtom

Greetings!!

I need a bit of information on Navy ranking.

I have just bought a set of medals to a CPO and just wondered what his duties would have been. He was a PO during ww1 and died in an air raid in ww2 at HMS Eglet, What rank in the army would be similiar to this?

Regards.

Tom

He was made a PO in 1918 on Defiance.There is a ms in brackets after PO on the sheet.

He was a CPO 'at' HMS Eglet in Liverpool....thats all I have

Tom

If he was just a plain CPO or PO, he would be in the Seaman Branch of the Royal Navy (i.e. Able Seaman, Leading Seaman etc.). Essentially responsible for everything not related to engines, signals or 'domestics' of organising and running a ship.

If he were in another branch, his rank would reflect this: Stoker PO, PO Telegraphist, PO Writer etc. During this period, if he joined after 1908 his service number would be prefixed with the letter J to denote service as a seaman or signaller.

An approximate parallel for PO and CPO with Army ranks would be Corporal and Sargeant respectively. A Naval rank is considered, all other things being equal, to take precedence over equivalent Army and RAF rank: this doesn't mean that a Lieut RN is equal to an Army Major, nor that an Army Captain would have to salute him, for they are of equivalent rank. Benefits of being the Senior Service, I 'spose, even though they have to drag their swords under their coattails rather than wear them on a belt.

Richard

Thanks Dick.

His CWGC readout gives his number D/217968 does this give me any extra information?

Regards

Tom

Many thanks for all the info guys.

Thanks.

Regards.

Tom.