Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE Unit Marker Disk

cooper

Good evening.

A good friend of mine has just given me a unit disk marker and I am trying to confirm the unit.

The disk reads

R.Sig R.E

The query is that I believe the Royal Signals was formed as it's own unit in 1920.

This disk is dated June 1912.

At this time and in WW1 IT was known as a signal section. In 1912 the Cavalry division and cavalry brigades signal sections were formed in 1912. Could this disk be from one of those?

I assume 178 is the weapon number?

Any input is greatfully received.

Thanks

Very odd to have both designations. Yes the Royal Signals was until 1920 the Royal Engineers Signal Service. Maybe that number is not a date? Alternatively the R.Sig is not short for Royal Signals?

It's interesting (to me) how many other corps the Corps of Royal Engineers spawned: Royal Signals, REME (part of), RCT (part of) and of course the Royal Air Force (via the RFC).

I was thinking along similar lines. Regimental Signal possibly, not sure.....

The date is correct stamped in the standard form 6=June/12 = 1912 I believe the R = RESERVE Therefore the marking is RESERVE SIGNAL COMPANY R.E.

The reserve signal company was established prior to August 1914 and was used to supply signallers to the various signal units.See page 1299 of Volume 3 The Great War Medal Collectors Companion.

This disc marking and many hundreds of others will be published in a book I am preparing on collecting Great War rifles and Bayonets,which I hope will be finished by 2018.Am tied up with the MM and DCM Rolls at present.

Always interested in unit markings found on rifle discs and tangs and bayonets .

best wishes, Howard

Howard, wow! That is great. Many thanks for the info.

I will look into it further.

I will keep my eyes peeled for your book also when it's printed. Sounds like it's of definate benefit to many collectors and historians alike

I have found this resource about the signalling service etc:

https://archive.org/stream/signalserviceine00prie/signalserviceine00prie_djvu.txt

It mentions on many occasions a Regimental Signaller. Could it be this as opposed a reserve company?

The disk was battlefield found on the somme some years ago.

Thanks

Cooper

No it couldn't,it is a unit mark which Regimental Signaller is not.Furthermore the unit Reserve Signal coy actually exists and fits in with the date on the disc.Regimental signallers were incorporated early in the war into the signal service RE to facilitate training under one unit ,the RE..They normally served as signallers with their original units. best w, Howard

Thanks Howard for your input and help

Cooper