Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brunswick House (or Brunswick Hotel), Blackwall

generalist

I'm curious if anyone knows what the Brunswick House\Brunswick Hotel near the East India Docks in London (see map) was used for during WWI.

According to the Survey of London:

In 1874 the main part of the former hotel was let to representatives of the New Zealand Government for an emigrants' depot, and this use continued until about 1900, when the Managers of the Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum leased the premises for a children's convalescent home. During the First World War the building was occupied as a barracks, and in the 1920s as offices by the adjoining firm of shipbuilders, R. & H. Green & Silley Weir Ltd of Blackwall Yard. It was demolished in 1930, having then stood empty for several years.

My immediate assumption would be that either it was a barracks for labourers working in or on the East India docks; for workers connected with the Blackwall shipyard; or for some kind of local security garrison - the building might have been big enough to hold a platoon or two. However, I've not been able to find any direct reference to it. Any ideas?

Andrew.