Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish National Memorial

Desmond7

I've just returned from a trip to Edinburgh. It was my first time in the city and I was truly impressed by the large number of historic memorials dotted throughout the city.

However, I cannot adequately describe the Scottish National War Memorial in Edinburgh Castle. Architecturally and atmospherically, it is an awesome building in the truest sense of the word.

For anyone with an interest in World War 1, this is a place to visit.

Des

I should also mention the room in the War Museum within the castle.

On one wall, the huge iconic painting of the 'Thin Red Line' dominates ... many other display cases, all of interest.

But for me, the best thing in the room was the archive footage and music of pipers in various Scottish regiments both WW1 and WW2. Struggled to blink back tears ... and I am not being over sentimental. Made a point of watching and listening to the three-minute film. Amazed at how many stopped and watched with me.

Des

Des

I am delighted that a Ballymena man was taken with our National Memorial. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh, my daughter stays there. I have spent many happpy days ( and nights) in NI / Ulster. Often stayed in Ballymena.

Regards

Jas

Hello to the Forum.

The Scottish National War Memorial what a wonderfull tribute to the fallen this is, I was very lucky that in my youth I spent a lot of time in Edinburgh and of course the castle and every time I was there I was always struck by the memorial's stain glass windows, the bronze frieze's and as Desmond7 noted the "atmosphere" I am wondering if any of the forum noticed the memorial bronzes to the tunnellers friends the mice and canaries used to test the air in the tunnels or the one to all the animals that served and died, I think the inscription is "Remembering all the Humble Beasts that served and died" what a truely wonderfull place to visit.

Regards to the Forum

Yours Aye. Rob. B.