Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian M1889 Mauser

Civil War Life

I just purchased a very nice Begian M1889 infantry rifle in the original caliber. It is apparently a "bring back" as it has a so called duffle cut under thelower barrel band. I don't mind it as it is just part of the history of the weapon. I am now looking for a correct original bayonet and scabbard. Is there anywhere where I can find good clear pictures of both the long and shot versions? I don't believe I am permited to post picturs yet or I would put up a couple pictures of this wonderful old veteran. I'll be taking it to the range next weekend to test fire it and see what it can do. It appears to have a near mint bore.

I am new to this forum, so if I have made any mistakes please correct me and forgive my errors.

Terry

Fredericksburg, VA

Welcome to GWF! Sounds like a fun rifle you have there.

As for bayonets for this, well have a look at: http://www.abbl1940.be/ABBL1940files/Wapens/Bajonet/Bajonet%20algemeenNL.htm There used to be a really great web-site on these but I just tried the link and it doesn't seem to exist any more...

Trajan

The Belgian M.1889 infantry rifle was equipped with the Mle.1889 short knife bayonet or later, the M.1916 sword bayonet. The latter is easier to find than the former. The long versions of the Mle89 were not used with the infantry rifle. Here is the Mle89 short bayonet. 10 inch blade, steel scabbard. - SW

post-47661-0-88154900-1446373470_thumb.j

The sword bayonet M.16 issued with the Belgian Infantry Mauser. These may also be found with T-section blades taken from French Mle 1874 bayonets and slightly shortened to fit the Belgian hilt.. I don't have either one of these, so the photo is courtesy of the A.W.M. - SW

post-47661-0-32961400-1446374728_thumb.j

The sword bayonet M.16 issued with the Belgian Infantry Mauser. ...

After reading your earlier post I have been wondering off-and-on about whether the M.1916 would fit the 1889 Mauser, and was finally just about to ask the question via this thread and found this post of yours!

This is my sole M.1916, and it is a rather interesting example as it has the 'star' mark on its grips (to the right of the right washer in the photograph below) that - according to the Belgian collector Rik D. - is associated with bayonets originally owned by the noted Belgian collector Charles Dangre, the guy who 'invented' the term 'Ersatz' for the Aushilfsseitengewehre. This one also has its original crossguard with a 17.5 mm MRD - I understand from Rik D. that many of these M.1916's were adapted to fit the Belgian models 1935 and 1936, and so have an MRD of 15.5 mm. I have no ideas on the ricasso marking, an 'L' over a 'V' on the obverse, but Rik.D has informed me that he has an example with this mark on the reverse side, and that the same mark can be found on either side depending on which way the crossguard was fitted to the blade and tang!

post-69449-0-00830000-1446377565_thumb.j

post-69449-0-13281500-1446377943_thumb.j post-69449-0-01828400-1446377958_thumb.j

Julian - Nice one! the Mle16 bayonet used to be quite easily found, along with those which used French Gras bayonets as a source of serviceable and readily available blades; the designation remained the same. Now nice ones are getting quite scarce. They were originally heavily blued overall without any attempt to remove the grinding marks from the blade. I state this because I have seen a couple where someone has expended a good deal of effort and polished them up! - SW

What a wealth of knowledge and help you guys are. Thanks so much. Now I'm off on the hunt to get one or both of these bayonets. My WW I collection is almost compete. I only need the French Lebel. I only want one without the N mark. It is going to be tough but so far I have had very good luck finding exactly the rifles I want. For example I recently found a very nice Syter M95 without the S mark. Found some ammo for it at GAD and will soon be shooting it and reloading for it. Thanks again for all the great information you have generously provided.

Herr Terry

Who was the maker of your Belgian Mauser?

As you are no doubt aware they were produced in the US (by Hopkins and Allen who also produced bayonets) and in the UK in a factory specially set up for the purpose after the occupation of most of Belgium.

Lebels without the N stamp are indeed tough to find...the real challenge though is an unmodified Turkish Mauser in 7.65mm!

Chris

Who was the maker of your Belgian Mauser? ... they were produced in the US (by Hopkins and Allen who also produced bayonets) ...

And that model bayonet is also not an easy one to find - SS has shown one in the past on a now locked thread - see: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179457&page=2entry1750788...

And that model bayonet is also not an easy one to find - SS has shown one in the past on a now locked thread - see: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179457&page=2entry1750788...

Also here.

Chris

Also here.

Chris

I thought my post might stimulate you! There was no need to be shy about having a desireable specimen... :thumbsup:

My 1889 Belgian was made by FN. I would like to find a Hopkins & Allen, because I have a sub theme in my WW I collection of US made rifles, like my Mosin & Berthier by Remington, and my P14 by Edistone. I passed on one a while back and still regret it. That is OK another will come along. So will the non-N marked Lebel. They are out there. Just a matter of patience. Thanks to the information posted here I was able to order a long Belgian Mauser bayonet & scabbard in real nice condition. Thanks again. I still want a short one, but I can wait for the right one to come along.