Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auchy-the-mines (1915-2004) diplomatic incident

Laurent

Laurent

Is there an English version?

Steve

Nicolas... sorry can't get that to work either.

Laurent... it seems like a short article, can you give us the idea of the controversy?

Thanks, Andy

Could work : http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=.../6166047-fr.php

Or the raw (very raw !) translation by google :

"The brother of the late queen British mother would have died in Auchy, the exploitation of a discharge has just been prohibited

Fearing a diplomatic incident, the mayor of Auchy-the-Mines decided to close the discharge, it to what certain inhabitants of the commune had not managed to obtain in seven years of opposition

In September 1915, in full First World War, the brother of the late queen mother of England would have died in the combat in the battle of the mounts of Auchy. Some 60 000 English and German soldiers died during this battle and rest today on the spot, partly in cimétières, partly out of ground of Auchy-the-Mines.

However, recently a local historian discovered that a member of L afaimmel royal of England (the brother of the late queen mother) had died in the combat on the site. The British press seized the subject and was moved, with the royal family to note that a discharge was exploited in the vicinity. In a few days, the pressure was such as the mayor of Auchy, fearing a diplomatic incident, decided to close the discharge, it to what certain inhabitants of the commune had not managed to obtain in seven years of opposition. To view the reactions opposite..."

Thanks Nicolas, I guess I am confused by two things...

A. why does the article say 'would have died', is it not know if he died there or not?

B. what is a discharge in this sense? and what does it mean to close it?

Thanks for your help translating though... I know that can involve a lot of typing. I appreciate it. Andy

A. why does the article say 'would have died', is it not know if he died there or not?

B. what is a discharge in this sense? and what does it mean to close it?

A. Would have died is just romance language grammar, in Anglo Saxon it means he positively did die there.

B. Discharge is a volley as by a group of soldiers firing into the air. I guess that some of locals did not like the noise. Why the Royal family might object to what is a mark of respect to the fallen, I do not understand.

Bill

The brother of the late Queen British mother would have died in Auchy (1915), the exploitation of a discharge has just been prohibited !

More infos and video: Auchy Les Mines Diplomatic Incident

Fantastic result! I hope the outcome of the A19-discussion in the Ypres Salient will be as succesful, . Would it be possible that the Commonwealth people will react in the same impressive way, even it it's just about common soldiers and not about someone of the royal family if the plans for the extension of the motorway will come to execution (which is not decided at the moment).

Andy : it is just the automatic translation common bad tricks

"discharge" is false it means rubbish / garbage dump (décharge in French)

the "would have die" seems right, one can translate : is supposed to have die.