Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Farm

Tony Cox

Hi, iam doing some research on a officer who won a bar to his MC at place called Welsh Farm,from what information I can gather this place called Welsh Farm is somwhere in Belguim.

Have I got a cat in hell's chance of finding it a trench map, or is a search possible of some sort.Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

There are actually more than one Welsh Farms, but this one is most likely.... due west of St.Julien and south-east of Pilkem ...

Dave

post-357-0-55336700-1445537842_thumb.jpg

Cheers Dave, that's the one, because the diaries mention Pilkem.

How you find it that fast is they a way of searching on the DVDs trench maps

Cheers

Tony

...I've marked the site with a yellow cross on this modern NGI map...

Dave

post-357-0-93684300-1445538158_thumb.jpg

Who was the officer? (If its not a secret).

Bernard

Sorry Bernard no secret

He was Captain John Crawford of the RAMC, he won his bar to the MC around here,not sure of the year.

Cheers

Tony

Cheers!

Bernard

Cheers Dave, that's the one, because the diaries mention Pilkem.

How you find it that fast is they a way of searching on the DVDs trench maps

Cheers

Tony

If one was lucky enough to get a copy of Rats Alley: Trench Names of the Western Front, 1914-1918: British Trench Names of the Western Front,1914-1918 by Peter Chasseaud when it came out

most places can be found quite quickly. However, if you look, the money now asked for these is outrageous, one on Amazon is £890! Abebooks have them around £200 but that is also very steep.

I shall keep mine as my pension, at this rate of inflation it will be worth £10,000 quite soon!

Howard

If one was lucky enough to get a copy of Rats Alley: Trench Names of the Western Front, 1914-1918: British Trench Names of the Western Front,1914-1918 by Peter Chasseaud when it came out

most places can be found quite quickly.

However, the gazetteer included in this book is only good for trench names (and some camps) etc. Farms and other such features aren't usually included. For these, I don't think you can go far wrong by obtaining John Reed's book 'Gazetteer of the Western Front' which covers hamlets, villages, farms, camps and other significant features that aren't trench names. John is a member of this forum, but see here for further details ...http://www.naval-military-press.com/gazetteer-of-the-western-front.html

Dave

And that reminds me ... When I posted a photo (# 7) of what I thought was Welsh Farm, I probably made a mistake. Now I think it was the post war version of Britannia Farm that I posted. Which in fact was 170 meters northeast of Welsh Farm.

But there is an explanation for the confusion. Almost all farms that were rebuilt after the war were not on the exact same spot as where they were before and in the war. So standing at farms nowadays often makes one wonder : is this farm (or house) over there the post war version of Farm X, Y or Z ?

Looking back now and based on the co-ordinates given by John Reed ( 50° 53.249'N 2° 54.306'E ) for Welsh Farm, I am sure the photo I posted was Britannia Farm. Do I have a photo of the post war version of this Welsh Farm ? Well, more or less, or better : 2 photos of a house / farm very near that I named ... Fysh Farm (!). To make it even more complicated : I must have written down the name Fysh Farm taking it from a map or source I can't remember. And to make it worse : John Reed doesn't list this Fysh Farm. (And yes, it's with a -y-, not an -i- !)

Aurel

• 2 months later...

Fysh Farm was not included in A Gazetteer of the Western Front because it was not featured in 1/10,000 Trench Map Sheet 28SW2 Edition 3B Dated 020316 to Edition 6B dated 300318, it in Map Square C15b the Lat & Long is

50.88835 Deg. N 2.90467 Deg E

John