Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need officers photo 1024 Burma Coy., RASC 1918-20

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWFs,

Lieut. Patrick John O'Shea, IARO, was attd 1024 (Burmah) Company, RASC, which arrived in Mesopotamia on 1 Jul 1918, and took part in operations in Persia (Karind), and later Kurdistan.

When 1024 Coy. (Ford Vans), was engaged in operations in Kurdistan, one of its officers, Lieut. Claud Felix Pyett, IARO, was awarded a Military Cross for his efforts.

The officers of 1024 Coy., as shown in WITH THE M.T. IN MESOPOTAMIA were:-

Major G. E. Cuningham

A/Major E. G. Fleming

Capt Webster

A/Capt G. R. Cookman

Lieuts. C. F. Pyett; A. J. Bennison; J. P. O'Shea; D. J. Ross; E. H. Sharp; A. J. F. Wagstaff; H. W. Teeton; E. L. Bayley.

Perhaps GWF members have more information about these officers?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWFs,

To add to the above, it was curious that Lieut Pyett (awarded an MC for gallantry for a 25 May 1919 rescue action), IARO, as was O'Shea, had only the KURDISTAN clasp to his GSM (named Lieut., IASC), whereas O'Shea had KURDISTAN and IRAQ (named Lieut., IARO).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 5 months later...

Dear All,

It has since been established that not only was Lieut Pyett decorated with the MC, but that Lieut P. J. O'Shea, IARO (also attached 1024 Burma MT Coy., ASC), was Mentioned in Despatches.

O'Shea was one of four officers listed as 'attd. RASC (M.T.)', and grouped under Royal Army Service Corps: London Gazette 9 September 1921, page 7198.

The other three were Lt. (A/Capt) E. Bruce, Spec. List; Lt. W. J. Francis, S&T Corps, IA; and Lt. (T/Capt) H. S. Wright, IARO.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear GWFs,

Photos, aka Images of two Officers of the No. 2 Burma MT Coy (aka 1024 Burma MT Coy., ASC) have been found, taken in later life:-

Lieut John Patrick O'Shea (wearing Trilby),

Major Edward Gibson Fleming (1885-1962).

kindest regards,

Kim.5905fc857d08d_JohnOSheainlaterlife2.jpg.9e3f2deb3020d128a5798f6d2e97380a.jpg5905fce16e75b_EdwardGibsonFleming1885-1962.jpg.423a368d69f40f16d2577c000a145f52.jpg

Kimberley,

Horace William Teeton's service records {before being commissioned} are on Ancestry at

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=bmY124&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&gss=angs-c&new=1&rank=1&gsln=teeton&gsln_x=XO&cp=0&catbucket=rstp&MSAV=0&MSV=0&pcat=39&h=1924918&dbid=1219&indiv=1&ml_rpos=20

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Dear Alf,

Super!

Clever of you to have located the papers of an erstwhile brother-officer of my Lieut John Patrick O'Shea - H. W. Teeton - on Ancestry. 

That is great news, except for the fact that I do not "have" Ancestry!

Thanks very much for informing me, however: much appreciated...

Perhaps some kind "Ancestry" soul out there might like to beam them to me at

thelindsayhouse@web.de

and I will gladly incorporate Lieut Teeton into my on-going Lieut O'Shea file (plus its bulging companion Leitz-Ordner).

Also, if published in DURBAR, OMRS Journal, Medal News or what-have-you, the donor would be specially-mentioned, without fail.

Meanwhile, I might just mention that the Happy End was that the athletic, gallant and capable O'Shea, married Jessie, the petite elder daughter of the rich Deuchar family.

They lived in some style in a palatial house with hired help, and he enjoyed the rather fine-sounding profession of "Wine Agent", but sadly 59061fbc51909_JessieOSheaneeDeucharandJohnOSheaheadstone.jpg.feb8f693e9a90f7cdb6e616a88c1341f.jpgdied young at 65...

Kindest regards,

Kim.