Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

Yes Mike, a great resource. Some of the October 1915 aerial trench photos I used with Google earth for my Hill 60 studies. A couple of very good people far smarter than me set me up with some overlays of these with Google earth, which made walking over Hill 60 and identifying quite precise locations. Coupled with a Gunwerks digital laser rangefinder, managed to range some distances between certain points and length of trenches etc. It made it so easy to find points 100 years later. An absolute must for serious research.

Cheers

Ian

Interestingly some are labelled 'unknown'.

No. 35 is a photo of Scimitar Hill and W Hills (north is to the Right).

No. 36 is a photo of Sulajik (bottom right) and the area to the North and East. (North is to the left)

No. 37 is the area immediately North of the Slat Lake. The lake shore is along the right. North is to the left

No. 38 Is slightly North and West of No.37. The Suvla Plain. Hill 10 is just off the photo top right. North is to the left showing the scrub at the foot of the KTS ridge.

Etc.

Quite easy to fit these to contemporary maps or Google Earth. The field patterns, deres and even clumps of trees have barely changed.

The log-books for the RNAS are in the IWM library and I suspect with a small amount of research it would be possible to tell which sortie took these photos. I may even have photos of the log-book somewhere. MG