Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Sgt. James Houston, London Rifle Brigade

kenmorrison

James Houston is named on the War Memorial in the village of Kirkgunzeon, just to the west of Dumfries in South West Scotland as:

Pte. J. HOUSTON M.M. L.R.B.

James Houston, Military Medal – age 33 – Lance Sergeant (4367 & 302597) 1/5th Battalion (City of London) London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade)

He was awarded the M.M. as 302597 Cpl. J. Houston, Lond. R. (Kirkgunzeon)

Born c.1885 at Kirkpatrick, Glasgow????

Son of James and Jane Houston of Kirkhouse Farm, Kirkgunzeon. (Source:CWGC)

Missing in Action – 28 March 1918.

Commonwealth War Grave – Arras Memorial, France.

SDGW has born Kirkpatrick, Glasgow, resident in Ibrox and enlisted Glasgow.

However I can find nothing about this man in any local or Scottish national newspapers and Kirkpatrick is not a part of Glasgow for birth registration purposes.

The father James is not at the farm in 1911 but is there in 1915.

I'm a bit of a loss as to where to go next, any ideas please?

Ken

James Houston, son of James Houston (Hardware Merchant) and Jane Houston (nee McDougall), born 6 October, 1883 at 82 Bernard Street, Glasgow. (Source: Scotlands People)

1901 Census has them living at 53a Whitevale St, father still Hardware Merchant, James is shown as a hardware assistant.

Do these fit with what you have?

Mark

MM citations are rare but here is the citation for James who was awarded the MM for Polygon Wood on 16.8.17 serving with 1st LRB

302597 Corp Houston James 16.08.17 ** Polygon Wood

‘During the operations on August 16th ,1917 ,this NCO took charge of his platoon after his platoon commander had been killed .His courage and coolness undoubtedly kept his men together . During the day ,by skilful leadership ,he inflicted numerous casualties on the enemy .’

Many thanks for that folks.

Mark - I don't think that those are my folks but they are in my file now, just in case!

Ernie - I haven't see an MM citation before - is that from the London Gazette???

Ken

a guy from Scotland asks about a Glasgow man serving in a London regiment and gets replies from Australia and France - it can only happen here :thumbsup:

Hi Ken,

Just so the country folk of rural England aren't completely outdone!

Medal Roll:

5. Lond. R. 1(a) 14.7.16 - 22.7.16

1. Ent. Bn 1(a) 23.7.16 - 16.9.16

5. Lond. R. 1(a) 17.9.16 - 28.3.18

Soldiers' Effects:

A War Gratuity of £12/10 was paid to his father James.

Using Forum Pal Craig's calculator indicates enlistment/active service circa March 1916

ICRC Record:

Missing date is wrong by a couple of days, but right service number

post-113776-0-22846700-1445551438_thumb.

(Wonder who Miss Ryan was?)

The war diary says that on 19th March 1918 the Battalion HQ was based at St. Aubin. On 27th March it says that 'C' Company was in BIRD (trench). On 28th March it reads:

3 am

Enemy opened an intense bombardment with gas shells on all our battery positions. This lasted about 2 hours when he proceeded to bombard our support and reserve lines with gas and shells of all calibres. This continued for one hour when front and immediate support lines were bombarded and heavily trench mortared, completely blotting out our posts and obliterating our wire. At 7 am enemy attacked with very large forces and immediately broke through the front line system. All forward and lateral communication had been cut, consequently Battn. H.Q. was out of touch with all Companies. The Germans succeeded in rushing the blocks in BELVOIR and BROUGH and commenced to bomb their way down NAVAL - MARINE trench, at the same time attacking it frontally with a mass of troops. He was successfully held up for considerable time , by means of rifle and M.G. fire and extemporised blocks, but eventually Battalion H.Q. details were forced withdraw from NAVAL - MARINE, down THAMES ALLEY, strongly contesting the ground the whole time. At length the enemy was stopped at CASTLEFORD where a strong block was formed. Battalion H.Q. was established at BAILLEUL POST and H.Q. Details reinforced and took up fire positions in the RED LINE. The enemy continued all day to make tentative efforts to establish himself in the RED LINE, which was the main line of defence. He made no progress and was everywhere repulsed. Considerable casualties were inflicted on him, noticeable by our artillery, M.G. and Lewis Gun fire. By 6 pm his effort had been spent. The Battalion fighting strength of 23 officers and 564 o/ranks had been reduced to 8 officers and about 60 o/ranks where the RED LINE was reached.

Regards

Chris

The MM citation is in a regimental publication, early 1920s

Merci bien, Ernie - I thought it might be something like that.

and thank you Chris for all that detail, and for identifying a London connection - even though it creates a new question :unsure:

Who was Miss Ryan of Henniker Gardens, East Ham???

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken,

In the 1911 census there is a Ryan family living at 35 Henniker Gardens, East Ham. It shows an unmarried 24 year old M(ary) Ryan, a general post office sorter, born in Liverpool. She is living with her (siblings, and) parents - John Solly Ryan (a 52 year old Customs & Excise examining officer, born in Killarney, Kerry) and Elizabeth (a 48 year old, born in Annan, Dumfries). The record shows that they had been married for 26 years, so since circa 1885. There is a John Solly Ryan who married an Elizabeth Houston in the first quarter 1885 in the registration district of West Derby.

I haven't signed up to ScotlandsPeople to chase any records there, but wonder from Marks post #2, if James (father of James) might be the brother (or at least a close relative) to Elizabeth.

Regards

Chris

Mark - I don't think that those are my folks but they are in my file now, just in case!

Ken

I have just had another look at the births of James Houston in the time frame 1883-1886 in the Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Kirkgunzeon areas, and the birth I mentioned in post 2 is the only one with parents James & Jane I could find.

I did find this record for the 1891 Census:

Name: James Houston

Estimated birth year: abt 1883

Relationship: Son

Father's name: James Houston

Mother's name: Jane Houston

Where born: Kirkpatrick-Durham, Kirkcudbshire

Registration Number: 874

Registration district: Kirkpatrick Durham

Civil Parish: Kirkpatrick Durham

County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Address: Barncailzie Lodge

Living with:

James Houston 37 Coachman

Jane Houston 45 (nee Currie)

Jeanie Houston 17

Janet Houston 15 Scholar

Mary Houston 13 Scholar

Lizzie Houston 10 Scholar

Janet Currie 70

Mark

That's the family Mark!

I was unsure of the original one as I couldn't see a Hardware Merchant becoming a tenant farmer and I did eventually trace them through the census (the father was from Dundee) always in Glasgow.

However regarding the second lot - Jane (Currie) Houston died in Kirkgunzeon in 1928.

She and James (who was 10 years younger) moved around KIrkcudbrighshire.

In 1881 he was an Agricultural Labourer in Kirkcudbright Parish and in 1891 (as you found) they were in Kirkpatrick-Durham Parish (which explains James junior's place of birth on SDGW)

By 1901 the couple (but no children with them) were in the town of Castle Douglas (Kelton Parish) where James was a Coachman/Gardner and they were still there 10 years later. I guess all the girls had married and James junior was elsewhere - but there are just too many men of that name and age to pin him down.

I can only surmise that James and Jane then took up the tenancy of the farm at Kirkgunzeon (his name is on the 1915 Valuation Roll)

Also a big thank you, Chris for the Ryan family details. I'll try to see where that might take me!

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hi,

May I ask for help with a 5th Londons puzzle?

Private John Hopcroft (variously 6700 (3rd Bn City of London (Royal Fusiliers); 7183 and later 283922 (both the latter supposedly with 4th Bn City of London (Royal Fusiliers) is KIA on 16 August 1917 (same date as James Houston, above, received his MM) and remembered on the Menin Gate on the panel for the 5th Bn London Rifles. His service records appear not to have survived.

The 4th Bn Royal Fusiliers are still in the Somme area of France on 16 August 1917, so he definitely didn't die fighting with them. Hopcroft arrived in France on 4th December 1916 - assume he was a Territorial/Reservist, or more likely just an inexperienced conscript given that he didn't volunteer.

Can anyone suggest what might have happened, please? Also, if anyone has the 5th London Rifles Bn War Diary, I'd be most grateful for a transcript/summary of events around the day Hopcroft died ... or maybe this is transcribed online somewhere already.

Really appreciate any clues about this man's passage through the war.

Thanks & regards

Annie

The 28th March 1918 was the second stage of Ludendorf's graet battle plan codenamed 'Mars Offensive'.

The 56th Division held their ground on the left flank with the LRB as part of the 169th Brigade. I have previously posted details of this in

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94063&hl=

Bob

Annie CWGC record shows he was 1/4 London R; he is on the medal roll for 4 Londons; 4 London R (R Fus) is quite distinct from 4 R Fus (City of London R) former was territorial, latter reg army; first 4 London Regiments were affiliated to RF; no 5th London connection for Hopwood athough both 4 and 5 Londons engaged in Polygon Wood where he died.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you so much for unmuddling me ... I'm not that great with army organisation and had completely missed that I'd been looking at the wrong battalion war diary! Just knew I'd made a wrong move somewhere, but couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Still a bit confused that his name (John Hopcroft) is on the Menin Gate on the panel for 5th London Rifles, but can accept this might have been an expediency as both units fought (and died) together.

Feel like a bit of a dope now, but really do appreciate you taking the time to look at this - another pair of eyes is really helpful.

With thanks & kind regards

Annie

• 4 years later...

James Houston was born on 5th October 1882 on the Barncalzie Lodge estate, Kirkpatrick-Durham Parish, Kirkcudbrightshire. His father seems to have been the coachman to the estate house (Houston family still there on 1891 census). The estate and 'big house' still exist with cottages for rent. His parents (James & Jane, nee Currie) were married on 26th November 1872. BC from Scotland's People site:

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 09.18.54.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

On the 1901 census James was an 18 year old shipping clerk lodging at 35 Agnew Crescent, Stranraer.

His birth place is given as 'Castle Douglas', but that is where his parents were then living. Extract from 1901 census in Scotland's people:

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 10.54.55.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Many of his fellow soldiers from the 5 London Regiment (Rifle Brigade) went missing in action on the 28th March 1918 (all listed on Panel 9 of the Arras Memorial):

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?regiment=London%2bRegiment%2b(London%2bRifle%2bBrigade)&cemetery=Arras%2bMemorial&war=1&casualtypagenumber=1

These included a Capt. John Stewart Calder MC & Bar and a Capt, Eric Wollaston Rose.

Many with similar service numbers to James Houston, such as Corporal William Paterson Caldwell (302793) of D company, also died.

Capt. John Stewart Calder started out as a private with the 5 London Regt., but died as a Captain with an MC & Bar - MIC off Ancestry:

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 17.29.03.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Honours & Awards appendix from the 1/5 battalion war diary at the end of September 1917 - Many MMs listed, including James Houston's for 16 August 1917:

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 07.56.30.png

The sole DCM citation listed above was to Rfn. W. Bushell (315235). The award was listed in LG 19-10-17 (30346) and the citation is from LG  26-01-1918 (30495):

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 08.12.25.png

Appendix to the 5th Bn. London Regiment WD at the end of March 1918 (WO-95-2962-3_2) James Houston was among the missing of 28th March:

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 13.33.53.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

The MM of Cpl. James Houston 302597, 5th Battalion, London Regiment - for action near Polygon Wood 16th August 1917:

(Sgt. William Kench of C Company, 304237, who won the MM along with James was among those who died the same day - 28-03-1918).

DSC_0047.JPG

Edited by Ivor Anderson

On 23/10/2015 at 08:59, chrrip said:

The MM citation is in a regimental publication, early 1920s

Hi, I have looked in "The History of the London Rifle Brigade 1859-1919" (published 1921) and cannot find this citation cited in post 3:

302597 Corp Houston James 16.08.17 - Polygon Wood

‘During the operations on August 16th ,1917, this NCO took charge of his platoon after his platoon commander had been killed. His courage and coolness undoubtedly kept his men together. During the day, by skilful leadership, he inflicted numerous casualties on the enemy.’

Do you know the exact source of this citation?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• 1 month later...

Yes. LRB RECORD May 1921