Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sword ID.

GWF1967

Hi.

Can anyone ID this Sword for me please.

Apologies; I did take some pictures of the blade but they're poor quality.

post-119457-0-74177000-1445099971_thumb.

post-119457-0-84424300-1445099992_thumb.

Hi.

Can anyone ID this Sword for me please.

Apologies; I did take some pictures of the blade but they're poor quality.

Looks like a Pattern 1854 Officer's Sword, issued during the reign of King George V.

Regards,

LF

Gentlemen,

I don't disagree with the 1854 but I wonder if the absence of engraving and a proof disc means it might be an 1854 Infantry Sgts' sword? If it has the usual single fuller, it seems to be starting further down the blade than might be more common in the officer's version. See attached image.

To quote from Withers "British Military Swords"

"After the 1822 Dress Regulations, most sergeants carried plainer versions of their officers’ pattern

swords. They are readily distinguished by the absence of any decoration to the blade, and the use of
official inspector and issue marks to the blade forte and hilt. Ironically, they are much scarcer than
the officers’ swords as they suffered a harder service life, being handed around within a regiment until
they were no longer fit for use. Unlike an officer, a sergeant did not have to purchase his own sword.

Seems to be some confusion on exactly these swords looked like amongst experts and I am not one of those. I hope I have successfully muddied the waters.

George

post-115862-0-16209100-1445128529_thumb.

Hi,

Thank you for your replies Gents.

LF. Looks spot on Sir.

Aussiesoldier. Many thanks for the additional information. The blade is decorated with a Royal cipher and starburst about a quarter of the way down the blade, unfortunately the pictures I took were naff!

The fuller starts lower than others I have seen as you mentioned.

I could not find any date stamps. I shall go have another look!