Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Caribou versus maple leaf?

BatterySergeantMajor

Does anyone know what's true about the caribou headstones being replaced, when necessary, by a maple leaf stone? Someone told me a while ago but I couldn't belief this story (if it's true it's a falsification of history).

Afterwards someone else (I think it was Charlotte, but am not shure about that) said it was not true, but a few days ago someone else came up again with this story. Before embarrassing the CWGC maybe I want to ask if someone of the Forum Pals now the definitive answer, and maybe also where this rumour got it's roots?

Erwin

By no means do I know the answer..... with that said, I would guess the Caribou would indicate troops from Newfoundland versus the Maple Leaf for Canada. Remember that before the war Newfoundland and Canada were not one country.

But this is only my (un)educated guess.

Andy

I don't know the answer to the original question, but Andy you are correct, the Caribou (actually I thought it was a moose) is for the Newfoundlanders who were a separate Dominion (country might be too strong a term) until 1949 when they joined Canada.

I would find it sad that the headstones are being replaced with Maple Leafs (if it is indeed true). The men fought and died as Newfoundlanders.

marc

• 2 weeks later...

Surely the badges on Newfoundland Graves are that of the The Royal Newfoundland Regiment? Wouldn't it be inappropriate to change them to those of the C.E.F. of which the RNR was not a part?

Hugh.

Historical seeing it should be incorrect to replace them.

So beeing concervative: keep them like they were original.

Erwin,

We don't replace the Flemish stones (like the one of my great uncle) too because of historical point of view. So let it be.

That is my humble opinion.

The Dominion of Newfoundland existed from 1907 until Confederation in 1949. (The dominion reverted to colonial control in 1934 in the depth of the Great Depression, and was administered by the United Kingdom.)

As an independent Dominion of the British Empire, I would certainly agree that the memories of the Newfoundlanders that served and died for their dominion should remain commemorated as Newfoundlanders.

Most think the caribou is male, it's not, female mourning her young who died far from home. Best account I know of is Memoirs of a Blue Puttee, CEF Books has it excellent. There is a picture of Jason Shiwak a Labrador Inuit wearing a kilt.

Most think the caribou is male, it's not, female mourning her young who died far from home.

Paul, the symbology makes sense, but I thought only male caribou had antlers.

Andy

To settle the issue of the replacement of the caribou badge once and for all, I asked CWGC and here is their reply....

"There is no truth whatsoever in the rumour that the Newfoundland badge will be replaced by the Canadian badge."

Most think the caribou is male, it's not, female mourning her young who died far from home.

Paul, the symbology makes sense, but I thought only male caribou had antlers.

Andy

Caribou are the only deer species in which females also have antlers.

To settle the issue of the replacement of the caribou badge once and for all, I asked CWGC and here is their reply....

"There is no truth whatsoever in the rumour that the Newfoundland badge will be replaced by the Canadian badge."

Thanks Terry. I it is a relief. As said earlier, I would have been very astonished if the story was true. I know the CWGC is an organisation with common sense. Such a move would have been a-typical for them.

Erwin