Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with French Shell / Correct Projectile?

Geertsen

Hi,

I recently acquired this French shell and would like to know more about it. The main questions I have about it are:

1. Is the projectile correct for the casing?

2. What is inside the projectile (if anything...it feels pretty solid)?

I have done a bit of research and know it is a French shell made in 1917 but i'd love to know more about it if anyone can help! (I will add photos showing the various markings). The projectile is removable and it is empty inside the brass casing.

Thank you!

post-124761-0-59772600-1444680973_thumb.

post-124761-0-44913200-1444681210_thumb.

post-124761-0-75825600-1444681360_thumb.

I believe it's the 37 mm. Shell. A small portable canon used by infantry amongst others. Someone will know more and confirm.

TT

A very popular souvenir. I have one with a different fuze cap. My father, who brought it back from France, called it a Pom pom shell.The British army first encountered them in the Boer war in the hands of the Boers in a machine gun version. British cavalry also had these, I think, the RHA 13 pounders came into service. In 1917/18 the US army used the French 'trench gun' version.

Old Tom

It is the correct projectile for the cartridge case.

The projectile is the Modèle 1916 HE.

The case is the 37mmx94 version used for a variety of rounds including the Mle 1916 HE.

The 85 in 37-85 on the headstamp indicates the case was introduced in 1885; PDPs the maker Pinchard et Denys, Paris; lot number 14; and 1.17 the date of case manufacture.

The round was used in the Renault FT17 tank.

That's great! Great info. Thanks everyone!

What is inside the projectile? ...is it designed to explode on impact / at any point or hit its target as a solid mass? ...in a way, what I'm getting at I suppose is should I be worried about the safety of it? Does the fact that the main casing is empty mean it is totally deactivated?