Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

679 Polo Fallen 41 photos left to go; Reached book freeze

tharkin56

All thanks to those who have followed prior threads, I think I have got as far as I am going to get with 'Polo and The Great War', by my count 679 men fell (I am double checking) I have 41 photos left. Just incase i have added the names here, there we one or two other ranks as they became so impatient with waiting for a commission or joined from Argentina etc. I am repaginated the book now but may be able to fit photos in without repaginating and renumbering etc

Anyway thanks again to members of the forum.

Plenty of info on the men but no photos found /nothing I can positvely identify.

Tried Du Ruvugny, Bond Of Scacrifice, School Rolls, ILN, Sphere, Graphic, Argentina Roll, Findmypast, British newspapers, australian newspapers, indian papers, Polo books, Lloyds, Bank, etc. Macmullen is in the British Library only.

So may be dependent on personal photo albums but happy to take any more offers/ resources.

1. ANSTRUTHER, Lieutenant, John Arnold St. Clair. 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) attd. 2nd Life Guards.
  2. ARDEN, Lieutenant Colonel, John Henry Morris, D.S.O. Royal Air Force, No. 3 Cadet Wing and Reserve of Officers, 2nd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment.
  3. BARNE, Captain, Seymour, M.C. 20th Hussars (attached Royal Flying Corps).
  4. BASSETT, Lieutenant, William Frederick, M. C. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).
  5. BATTY-SMITH, Lieutenant, Francis Clive. 13th Bn., Royal Fusiliers.
  6. BELL, Major, Adam Dickson. 4th Hussars.
  7. BOWLBY, Lieutenant, Lionel Henry Salvin. 2nd Dragoon Guards (Royal Scot Greys).
  8. BROADBENT, Major, Edgar Richard, M.C. 8th Hussars.
  9. BUTLER, Second Lieutenant, John Henry Rippon, 2nd Bn., Coldstream Guards.
  10. CHURCHILL, Captain, Charles Henry Major. 20th Duke of Cambridge's Own Infantry (Brownlow's Punjabis).
  11. DUBS, Captain, Charles Eric Douglas. 17th Lancers.
  12. EGERTON, Lieutenant-Colonel, George Algernon. 19th Hussars.
  13. EGERTON, Major, James Boswell. 23rd Indian Cavalry. 27th October 1918
  14. FERGUSSON-POLLOK, Major, Robert Cuthbert. 32nd Lancers. Indian Cavalry.
  15. GRANTHAM, Lieutenant, Charles Alpe. 33rd Cavalry. 3rd March 1915.
  16. GRIFFITH, Lieutenant Colonel, William Walter Gilbert. 32nd Lancers. 22nd April 1917.
  17. HARRIS, Corporal, Roy King.
  18. HOBART, Lieutenant, Douglas. 24th Punjabis attached 53rd Sikhs,
  19. HUDSON, Lieutenant, John William Willoughby. A Coy., 1/5th Royal Warwickshire Regiment. 30th November 1915.
  20. HUDSON, Lieutenant, Jocelyn Hope. 49th Bde., Royal Field Artillery
  21. HUGHES, Lieutenant-Colonel, Edward Malcolm. 14th Murrays Jat Lancers, Indian Army. Died of pneumonia, 11th September 1916.
  22. JENNINGS, Captain, Francis Montgomery. 8th Hussars. 11th November 1918.
  23. KEARNEY, Private, James John. 2241, Royal Gloucestershire Hussars. 21st August 1915.
  24. KETTLE, Lieutenant, Rupert Arthur. 3rd Hussars. 26th March 1918.
  25. KEVILL-DAVIES, Lieutenant, William Albert Somerset. 9th Lancers. 15th May 1915.
  26. LEARED, Trooper, Frank Harvey. 1443, 1st King Edward’s Horse. 9th April 1918
  27. LEWIS, Lieutenant-Colonel, Harold. 37th Lancers, Indian Army commanding 20th Bn., Manchester Regiment. 1st July 1916.
  28. LUSH-WILSON, Major, Herbert Geoffrey. Y Bty., Royal Horse Artillery. 21st July 1916.
  29. MACMULLEN, Lieutenant Colonel, Frederick Charles Kendall. 19th June 1916
  30. MARSHALL, Lieutenant, Frederick Guy. 2nd Bn., Grenadier Guards. 22nd March 1915.
  31. MAYNE, Major, Augustus Blair. Royal Artillery formerly Central India Horse
  32. MCNEILE, Lieutenant Colonel, Henry Donald. 1st Royal Dragoons. 20th December 1915.
  33. MURRAY, Lieutenant, G . R ., Reserve of Officers, attached 13th Duke of Connaught's Own Lancers, Indian Cavalry. 23rd December 1916
  34. PENNINGTON, Major, William Herbert. 12th Cavalry, Indian Army attached 16th Cavalry.
  35. PICKERING, Lieutenant Colonel, Francis Alexander Umfreville. D.S.O. 2nd Dragoon commanding 9th Bn., Rifle Brigade. 23rd December 1917
  36. PROTHERO, Lieutenant, Rowland John. 7th Hussars . 8th November 1918.
  37. SAMUDA, Major, Cecil Markham Annesley. 2nd July 1917.
  38. SCOTT, Captain, Herbert Vesey. 3rd Rifle Brigade. Died at Wimereux Hospital, 1st September 1915.
  39. SILVERTOP, Captain, William Alexander, M.C. 20th Hussars. 27th November 1917.
  40. WATSON, Lieutenant, Charles Reginald. 28th Punjabis. 6th April 1916
  41. WILSON, Lieutenant, Cyril Frederick. 5th Dragoon Guards (Princess Charlottes of Wales’s).

I will double check Butler when I get home later - cant see on google

1. BASSETT, Lieutenant, William Frederick, M. C. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

10th Bn B.W. (attached 2nd Royal Scots) KIA 27/10/1918 in Russia.

It seems he was from Waterford in Ireland, probably why there's so little about him in the BNA.

Here is a very poor quality image of Major Augustus Mayne, enlarged and enhanced from a team photo. If you want to use it, I can provide a somewhat larger image file.

Michael

post-3328-0-56333700-1445205308_thumb.jp

post-3328-0-92151000-1445205076_thumb.jp

1. BASSETT, Lieutenant, William Frederick, M. C. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

10th Bn B.W. (attached 2nd Royal Scots) KIA 27/10/1918 in Russia.

It seems he was from Waterford in Ireland, probably why there's so little about him in the BNA.

He is commemorated on two memorials in Co. Waterford:

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Persons?name=bassett&warId=&regId=&siteId=&memoId=&letter=&sortO=1&button=Go The Dungarvan one shows that he was from Waterford City.

This entry in the 1901 Census may show his family: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Waterford/Waterford_Urban_No__4/Catherine_St___Pt__of_Waterford_No__1_/1762149/

Michael

Thanks both I am happy with the photo of the polo team.

I have added another 30 or so men so will update post.

No notification received so did not see updates.

Thanks

MAYNE, Major, Augustus Blair. Royal Artillery formerly Central India Horse and died of illness in London on 4th December, 1917 contracted in France. Age 57. He played for the County Dublin and All-Ireland Polo Clubs, and was a member of a team which won the Counties Cup for Dublin. He was born in 1860, and served in India, where he played polo. Son of Col. J. O. Mayne (R.E) and Mrs. A.A. Mayne of Bagshot. Served from September 1914. In 1916 he was given command of an ammunition column at the Somme, and, in 1917 he was a conducting officer for troops travelling from Le Havre to the front. His train was hit by a shell, and he was severely shocked. He was taken to hospital in London, where he died of heart and kidney failure on 4th December, 1917. Cheltenham College. Grave Ref. New Ground. North West of Church. Yorktown (St. Michael) Churchyard, Surrey.

MAYNE, Major, Augustus Blair. Royal Artillery formerly Central India Horse and died of illness in London on 4th December, 1917 contracted in France. Age 57. (etc)

Thanks for that. I have just completed a book of biographies, including Augustus Mayne. Fortunately, I already had all that information, but I would like to know where you got it, as the source does not seem familiar.

Michael

if you search the times you get a number of death account for polo players.I also need to contact the archivist at cheltenham college.

Trevor

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I noticed in a previous post that you were looking for a photo of 2Lt A.F. Chapman, 2/Scots Guards. I am also !

Did you have any luck please ?

Many thanks,

Nick