Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Army Deserters

hertsmil

Hi,

can anyone help with information regarding Army Deserters and what information may be obtained.

I am researching a soldier that served in the 1st Middlesex Regiment, he was Private L/11499 Edward Parker.

I have a copy of his medal index card which shows he went to France 27th August 1914 which may mean he might have been a territorial but also on his medal index card it has DESERTER.

does anyone know if records are available that show more information for this soldier, I have access to the war records on the Ancestry site but not sure where else to look for such records.

I also don't know if this man would have been court martialled or not.

if anyone can help with information where I might find details of this soldier or point me in the direction where information is available it would be a great help.

many thanks in advance.

Andy

post-86920-0-16212400-1444378872_thumb.j

The Medal Roll may give a date for his desertion and also say whether he forfeited his medals. If his service record is available there may be paperwork showing what steps were made to find him and any disciplinary action taken.

Found a little more information for Edward Parker, he possibly joined the army about February 1907 going by his service number.

Have looked at the medal rolls and found that he deserted 18th October 1915 and had no medals awarded, but he was wounded with a gun shot wound to left hand around the 27th September 1915 and put on the sick convoy the same date and sailed on the hospital ship St David but no other details of dates.

Have not been able to find any service records or pension records.

But still not sure were to look for any court martial papers or any information relating to his desertion.

One thing that stand out is, if he is recorded as deserting on 18th October 1915 and being wounded 27th September 1915 and being recorded on the hospital ship St David where did he desert.

was he in England when he deserted.

I have a envelope addressed to him in France that was posted in Finsbury Park on the 14th October 1915, this envelope has a cachet on it saying ' PRESENT LOCATION UNCERTAIN ' then in the top left corner in pencil is written Wounded and a signature under that.

Once again many thanks

Andy

I suppose that it is possible that he deserted on his discharge from hospital. He did not return to the army. Local newspapers might have a piece or I have seen people referring to The Police Gazzette.

Nothing in the Police Gazette on FMP (although it is incomplete).

I would agree he deserted once back in England - it's very unlikely he was sent back to France in the three weeks from being sent home.

Craig