Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 Webley MK VI question

rsparso

I apologise if this is a little off topic but I'm trying to decipher a few markings on the backstrap of my 1918 MK VI. It's an ordinary broad arrow marked gun, nothing unusual.

At the top of the backstrap it's marked F.A, underneath that 2.31, struck out with a horizontal line. Underneath that are 2 or 3 faint marks, overstruck again. Under that 45 or 43, again struck out. Under that 5.41 or 5.44, 5.41 being favorite, not struck over.

Do these represent some sort of inspection dates ? Surprised to see them dated so late, if that's what they are.

Hello stup,

Back strap letter and numerical markings usually denote unit ownership and the numbers sometimes also represent rack numbers, such as pistol number 125. Not too sure about F.A are you sure about the markings, could they be a badly stamped R.A for example?

Struck out numbers means that the 'ownership' of the revolver was transferred to another unit and restamped.

regards

khaki

The F.A is clear, reasonably confident it's not R.A. It has 32 stamped behind the lanyard ring, with 3 marks in front of the lanyard ring which look like deliberate peening, other marks underneath those I wonder ?

I cannot answer the question, but I will add to it, if one of the experts knows the answer to this as well. Why is my 1916 Mk VI marked everywhere with the (unwebley-like?) serial of N1315?

The F.A is clear, reasonably confident it's not R.A. It has 32 stamped behind the lanyard ring, with 3 marks in front of the lanyard ring which look like deliberate peening, other marks underneath those I wonder ?

As khaki has said, Webley revolver backstrap markings are typically regimental ownership markings and issue dates, rather than inspection dates.

I can find nothing that fits with just ' F.A. ', which usually stands for ' Field Artillery ' and would have another letter(s) in front, as in R.F.A. for Royal Field Artillery.

Could there possibly be a letter(s) in front of the F.A. on your Webley ?

Regards,

LF

I cannot answer the question, but I will add to it, if one of the experts knows the answer to this as well. Why is my 1916 Mk VI marked everywhere with the (unwebley-like?) serial of N1315?

That number is too low to be an original Webley Mk VI service revolver serial number, with the lowest serial number recorded for 1916 being 185436.

However, after WW1 some Webleys had their original serial numbers scribed through, and replaced by an ' N ' prefix new serial number, and many of these Webley revolvers with the ' N ' prefix serial number are ex-Irish armed services revolvers.

Are there any signs of your Webley's original serial number having been scribed through and replaced with a new ' N ' prefix serial number ?

Regards,

LF

I searched without success for F.A, under British regiments, there always remains the possibility that the markings made be commonwealth, although if that were the case there should be specific commonwealth identification marks, the other possibility is that they may be police ownership marks, security company or even perhaps a merchant ship. These revolvers had a very long service life well beyond both world wars. The search continues!

regards

khaki

These revolvers had a very long service life well beyond both world wars.

Not quite "well beyond". They were declared obsolete in 1945. Obviously, it would have taken a while to scoop them all up but the Army had plenty of .38s and Brownings by then.

They didn't scoop them all up, many remained in use throughout the world as does the lee enfield. still in use in India, genuine Webley's I understand have been located in Afghanistan amongst other places.

khaki

These revolvers had a very long service life well beyond both world wars.

khaki,

One of the last recorded official uses of the .455 calibre Webley Mk VI service revolver in Britain being by the Royal Ulster Constabulary in Northern Ireland, who were issued with the Webley Mk VI until 1970.

Regards,

LF

N1315. Literally everywhere. Also on the trigger guard and trigger itself!

That style of ' N ' prefix typically indicates ' Naval ' use.

Just to confirm, there are no other previous scribed out serial numbers ?

From the photographs, I cannot confirm if your Mk VI has a shaved cylinder face if it was ever converted from .455, and if your Mk VI is still in it's original .455 calibre, is that 1315 serial number on the cylinder face and cylinder rim also ?

Regards,

LF

It is shaved. However, there is a 1315 present. Pic later when I can. There is something on the rim, looks like 762, maybe.

I apologise if this is a little off topic but I'm trying to decipher a few markings on the backstrap of my 1918 MK VI.

At the top of the backstrap it's marked F.A, underneath that 2.31, struck out with a horizontal line ...

Getting back to the original question, I believe this revolver may well have seen use in the Indian Army. The F.A. marking will indicate issue out of the Ferozepur Arsenal.

The numerals show the date of issue, in the month/year format. So 2.31 will mean it was issued from Arsenal in February 1931. The other numbers show further re-issues.

Cheers, S>S

Getting back to the original question, I believe this revolver may well have seen use in the Indian Army. The F.A. marking will indicate issue out of the Ferozepur Arsenal.

The numerals show the date of issue, in the month/year format. So 2.31 will mean it was issued from Arsenal in February 1931. The other numbers show further re-issues.

Cheers, S>S

Now that's interesting. I wonder how it ended up in the US, no import marks. I wish the ammunition was cheaper, it's a fun shooter.

I haven't bought any .455 factory ammunition since 1983. Having got some cases and bought a set of dies, it is a remarkably easy round to reload. The problem in the UK these days is finding a source of suitable bullets (I don't make bullets.) and when one does they are not cheap.

Cast bullets are available over here, but I've never shot the volume to warrant buying all the reloading gear, (or clear space to set it up !).

RCBS makes a 265gr hollowbase mold for the Webley. So far it has worked excellent in my gun.

All the way on the left. Tiny little bullet by comparison.

post-38182-0-82624300-1444256208_thumb.j

RCBS makes a 265gr hollowbase mold for the Webley. So far it has worked excellent in my gun.

All the way on the left. Tiny little bullet by comparison.

It looks like a replica of the .455 Mk.II Ball bullet.

Regards,

MikB