Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal tracing

DCLI

Although I collect WW1 medals, I do have a couple of WW2 groups. This leads me nicely onto tracing the latter. I have two groups, with the original boxes but no way of finding out their regiments etc.

I wrote to the Army Medal Office in Droitwich and they replied ... the MoD policy on the non-disclosure of personal information precludes me from giving you any details etc, etc.

Even if they are dead, the MoD won't give me any info. All I asked for a was a regiment.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Regards

The administrative body responsible for the issue of such medals can give a clue; this is usually given as the return address on the bottom of the box. E.g. ATS & Medical, Infantry, RAC.

Aside from this, can't see how it is possible until their records become available; that's why I don't bother with WW2 British stuff.

Richard

Thanks for that.

I think I will give it a miss from now on.

Regards

There is a way that you may get some details and that is to write a letter to the local newspaper for the area in which they lived according to the address on the box. A letter to the editor requesting that any of his/her readers having information on said person to contact you etc etc. It has worked for me in the past.

Steve