Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Cavalry 1914/1915

Guest scarletto

Scarletto

Probably the best books that cover what you are looking for are in the series A History of The British Cavalry 1816-1919, written by the Marquess of Angelsey and published by Pen and Sword:

A History Of The British Cavalry 1816-1919 Volume 5: 1914-1919 Egypt, Palestine and Syria - £40.00

A History Of The British Cavalry 1816-1919 Volume 6 1914-1918 Mesopotamia £35.00

A History Of The British Cavalry 1816-1919 Volume 7: The Curragh Incident And The Western Front 1914 £35.00

A History Of The British Cavalry 1816-1919 Volume 8: The Western Front 1915-1918 Epilogue 1919-1939 £40.00

Volumes 7 and 8 will cover the 16th and 5th Lancers, which I assume you are most interested in?

Andrew

Thank you for that, yes the 16th and 5th Lancers are the ones im interested in, since amalgamation and the moving of the museum and archives, ive found its too far to travel too. The Regiments books really dont cover ww1 in any great detail. I will look them up books up,

Thanks

simon

The Marquess of Anglesey's books are well written and very readable. They are thin on detail, mostly. There are about 2 dozen references to the two units you mentioned in the Vol 7, and less than half that number in the whole of Vol 8. If there is one particular incident you are interested in, I could reproduce the information here for you. Otherwise, I strongly recommend you access the works through a library rather than buy them. I love his books but I have a general interest in the cavalry so the lack of detail re individual units is less of an issue.

Robert

Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply, i will try my library, or coerce the wife into buying them for xmas, if i cant i will PM you, but thank you. I too have an interest not only im my former regiment but also the cavalry full stop :D

So i will probably try for the books

simon